Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate power module replacement?  (Read 2202 times)

stsxt05

Topic Starter

Seagate power module replacement?
    « on: May 16, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »
    Hi guys, I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750 gig ST3750640AS hard drive which was inside a Seagate freeagent external hard drive enclosure. The hard drive suddenly stopped working and I have removed this drive from the enclosure so it is now a stand alone Sata HDD. Using a separate data recovery cable and power supply designed for this drive I have tried to power the drive up to try and make further use of the drive but the PCB on the back of the drive started to smoke ! Needless to say the drive is now seriously in danger of being binned but I would still like to grab the data off of the drive. Does anyone know how and where I can get a replacement PCB for the drive please? Is this a practical route to take? How easy is it to replace? Or any other suggestions other than using expensive data recovery processes to try and read the data? Thanks in advance for any advice... cheers Steve

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Seagate power module replacement?
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »
    Although i detest eBay i have found replacement PCB's there before...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stsxt05

Topic Starter

Re: Seagate power module replacement? smoke !!
      « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
      Hi , thanks for the Ebay suggestion but what do I look for past wise, I cant find what I need and im not sure how to go about fitting the new part if I can find the part that is.....

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Seagate power module replacement?
      « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
      You need to find one which serial/batch # is as close as possible to the drive you are trying to repair.
      This can be tedious.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "