Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop shuts down when plugging in audio cable  (Read 2133 times)

katefields

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Laptop shuts down when plugging in audio cable
    « on: May 21, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
    Hi there!

I'm trying to help my friend figure out how to stop this from happening.

She went to plug in a male-to-male 3.5mm audio cable into the microphone jack on her Toshiba Satellite laptop (running Vista).  She was using Audacity to convert some old tapes into MP3s, and has been successfully doing so for a couple months now.

When she inserted the cable (same one she's been using all this time), the computer went into stand by.  She (not knowing much of what to do) pressed and held the power button to try to get the computer to start again--thus forcing it to shut down (she didn't realize what she was doing.)

She brought the computer out to me, pressed the power button, and nothing happened.  I took the battery out (thinking it was a battery issue) and plugged the adapter in.  It started right up and booted normally.  I plugged the battery back in and it seems to be fine now.

I Googled the problem and saw that several people have had a very similar problem with their headphone jacks, but no one has posted a solution.  Any ideas?