Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no floppy drive... how do I create bootable CD  (Read 3865 times)

clemej

no floppy drive... how do I create bootable CD
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:06:56 PM »
Help!!!
Now that the "powers that be" have desided to make the floppy drive obsolete. They have created all sorts of issues for me. I have an old DOS application (on floppy of course) that will run a diag loop on the PC in question. I need to be able to boot from a CD and run this app but I have been running into all sorts of problems.
I have tryed creating a bootable CD with applications such as Nero and CD creator, then adding the files from the floppy without success... anybody have any ideas?
Any help will be apprciated as I am about to lose the little hair I have left.  ???

Thanks
Jeff

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: no floppy drive... how do I create bootable CD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
Jeff, if you really need this floppy disk drive, then why not just go to the computer store and buy an external floppy drive? They aren't expensive, and it will save you from pulling any more of your hair out!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

clemej

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 07:28:57 AM »
Thanks Flame... but unfortunately I need to be able to run the app on multiple PCs simulataniously as part of a "burn-in" process. So one external drive will not help my situation. Being able to create multiple boot CDs was looking like my best option.

clemej

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:32:27 AM »
Commando,
I did try UBCD but ran into prolems trying to add my app to the user defined section... I will give it another go however... have you had a lot of success with customizing UBCD???

Jeff

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:16:55 AM »
Haven't tried customizing UBCD.  I almost never need to boot from CD, all PC's have FDD.  There is some work being done on bootable USB, but no standards released that I am aware of.

clemej

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 08:08:20 AM »
 ;D
Well, I finally got this to work... here is the solution in case anyone cares or runs into the same type of problem.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/cdrom/