Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ms excel 2007 age calculation with date help  (Read 2504 times)

navyairtech

Topic Starter

Starter

ms excel 2007 age calculation with date help
    « on: May 24, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »
    Hi, im new to excel 2007. I have clues, but no ideas. lol. i hope somebody knows what to do here. I am making a job application search log and in one column i have 'date resume submitted' where all i put is the date of the day i apply somewhere. in the column just next to it i have 'days out' whereas i have a DATEIF code which displays year, month day of how long its been since i faxed/emailed/communicated with the potential employer. currently i have a formula that once i put the date into the j column(date resume submitted), it will automatically start calculating ages. So lets say the next day or even 2 weeks later, i enter this worksheet, it will tell me exactly how many days or months it has been since the date i applied for that company. heres my dilemma. everytime i place a new job into this worksheet, i have to tell the 'days out' DATEIF formula exactly where the date is sitting. its awfully annoying. i cant figure out how to just formulatize the entire column to automatically look for a date just one column over. argh
    Here is a few of what formula i am currently using and any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Jeff

=DATEDIF(J6,NOW(),"y")&" Y, "& DATEDIF(J6,NOW(),"ym")&
    " M, " & DATEDIF(J6,NOW(),"md") & " D"

-whereas J6 would be where i put the date and k6 would be where it would display (0Y,0M,5D)(for 5 days since i applied for this job).
    now what happens next time i want to apply for a job going down one row..

on J7 i put in a date and then i have to manually enter my automatic formula to change J6 TO J7. argh!! please help me!!!?!!

ive uploaded a copy of the blank worksheet in case anybody wants to look at it.

[email protected]

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldun

Re: ms excel 2007 age calculation with date help
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:26:52 AM »
    Select the last cell containing the formula (K6 in your example) and drag the bottom right-hand corner of that cell down one (to K7 in your example), then release the mouse.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »
    Another technique, in addition to oldun's method, is simply copy and paste.  With either method, the forumula is updated to refer to the correct cell.

navyairtech

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
      I could kiss u guys! thank you so very much. it works just perfectly now and i had it the whole time. such a simple fix. THANK YOU thank you THANK YOU thank you. wow. the air is filling back up into the room, my life can go on again. sigh. i must have spent from about 5 or 6 pm to about 2 am searching the web for that silly answer. i was determined. hehe.

Jeff

navyairtech

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »
        i also managed to figure out that after about 7 days the date in 'date resume submitted' will turn RED so i no that i need to follow up with some people. i need to find an income bad. anyways. l8r

navyairtech