Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen & Random Restart  (Read 4188 times)

wemaysay

Topic Starter

Starter

Blue Screen & Random Restart
    « on: June 05, 2009, 08:56:44 AM »
    Ok, so my laptop boots up fine, and then a blue screen appears with a thick black line at the bottom and then restarts. I never receive an error message,  but when it restarts it says that Windows has experienced an improper shutdown and it will ask if I want to start Windows noramlly, so I do. It'll boot up again and then a few minutes later it'll do the same thing. Sometimes I'm able to reboot it just fine, after a few tries, but then I can be an hour into what I'm doing and it gives me the blue screen again and restarts. I never ever see any type of error message or any wording, even on the blue screen.

I tried booting it in safe mode and it works fine, no problem at all. I ran my virus software and it hasn't found anything.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on, is it possible it's a hardware issue and not a software issue?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Blue Screen & Random Restart
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
    To get the machine to BSOD next time it boots properly go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery....uncheck the box that says auto re-start on errors.

Re-boot for the changes to take effect.
    Now instead of restarting you will get BSOD's ( blue screens of death ) and they will have cryptic error messages...
    Copy it down completely including the gibberish and post the info here...

Welcome Aboard !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wemaysay

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:13:35 PM »
      That box is already unchecked  :-\

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »
      Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
      If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.
      Vista users You may need to copy .dmp files, paste them into some other folder, or desktop, and zip them there.