Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing new Hard Drive on a dell PC.  (Read 2138 times)

golieguy19

Installing new Hard Drive on a dell PC.
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »
Doing some work on my mother in laws computer, and her old hard drive was completely fried. I'm currently installing the drive and am running into some issues. 

I have the pin settings on the IDE harddrive set to Single, as this is the only hard drive on the PC. Doing a IDE drive diagnostic test confirms the presence and recognition of the new hard drive, however, when i attempt to -load the drice from the Normal, Primary Master Drive, IDE CD-ROM device or boot to utility partition I am greeted with "strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for set up utility." The phone technician at Dell informed her that she would simply need to plug and play this new hard drive and it would be a more or less automated install. I am confident that the settings are correct in what I have done. I do however, wonder how this hard drive installation can simply be 'plug and play, as the utility partition would be on the old fried hard-drive and not the new one.

Does the hard drive need to have the OS installed from the CD or am I simply missing something silly.
Thanks!

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    Re: Installing new Hard Drive on a dell PC.
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
    Well, it's a new hard drive, so there is nothing to boot into. You need to install an OS onto the drive from a CD. The new HD does not have the Utility on it. Depending on what disks you have have, you might be able to put it back on before you install windows.   
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Installing new Hard Drive on a dell PC.
      « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:59:17 PM »