Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Installed on one hard drive, want to install it on the other  (Read 2652 times)

smacgillivray

I have Windows XP full version installed on a computer. I have recently added an old drive and formatted it. Now I have two drives, on empty, and one used and with XP installed on it. I am planning to put my blank drive on another computer, that does not have a drive at the moment. Due to technical problems, I am unable to boot from CD on the other computer to install XP on the blank drive.

I would like to know if it is possible to install XP on my blank drive, from the desktop, so that when I install it in the other system, XP boots normally.

Any takers?

Me.

potere scuro

Rookie
    Re: XP Installed on one hard drive, want to install it on the other
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
    why is it unable to boot from cd? and your saying that "I would like to know if it is possible to install XP on my blank drive, from the desktop"  is this the one that has been deleted or not?
    Death is a relief, An end of pain.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP Installed on one hard drive, want to install it on the other
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
    You cannot install XP on one machine and move it to another machine and expect it to boot properly...
    This is a combination of their anti-piracy attempts coupled with how the OS is designed to operate.

So let's address the machine problems you want it on and why it won't boot to an install CD.

There are ways to do this however as long as you are legit and the machine is liscensed to run XP.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "