Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help recovering word document  (Read 2663 times)

ccastro

Topic Starter

Starter

Help recovering word document
    « on: June 11, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
    Hello, I have been working on a master's project in Word and have had various versions going; last night I made all my corrections on one version and saved it, then opened it this afternoon and finished everything and thought I had saved it again before emailing it to my prof, but the emailed version turns out to be from 2 days again and this is now the only version showing up on my computer! Even if I mistook and didn't save today, there should still be last night's version, but it's not there. I have already tried looking through all the other documents and autorecovery files (empty). Does anyone have any other ideas for recovering a document in this situation? If I could even recover last night's version it would save a lot of work.... Thanks!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help recovering word document
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »
    Might you have saved one version is a different folder?  Have you tried a search for all Word files on your hard drive, using *.doc (or *.docx if Office 2007) as the search string?  Did you ever have a flash drive or external drive connected to your computer?  What version of Word do you have?

ccastro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »
      I've been searching in all documents and folders...  in the list of documents theoretically it should come up as the most recently modified document, but I'm not getting anything that was modified yesterday or today. I'm not sure what version of word I have, but my computer is barely a year old so  I imagine it's pretty new...

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
      What technique are you using to search?  When you open Word, it initially displays a flash screen which shows Word 2003, Word 2007, etc.   Also, with most versions, you can click on Help, then select About Microsoft Office Word to see the version. What version of Windows are you using?

ccastro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
        Hmmm, looks like I have Windows Vista and Word 2002... I've been searching by putting .doc in the search field, and then putting them in order by most recently modified but it still just comes up with the same versions from 2 days ago! I know that a version got saved last night... there were two other people who saw the save button get pushed, and it was there this morning... but I'm not finding that one either, which is bizarre.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
        You might try File Search Assistant; you can download it and use it on a trial basis for 30 days; after that, you would need to pay for it.  I haven't actually used it; I found it via a Google search.  Other than using a third-party search tool such as this, I'm not sure what to suggest.