Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can my d drive write to dvd disc's  (Read 2682 times)

Atilla The Hun

can my d drive write to dvd disc's
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:34:08 PM »
hi,
please help, very frustrated,
i have a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N [CD-ROM drive] according to my system info.  am using windows XP.  however on the front of the disc tray DVD ROM is indicated.  so this has me complitly confused.  i have searched for manufacturer info to determine features but i had no luck. i can definately write to cd-r's and watch dvds.  but what i really want to do right now is write a data disc to a DVD-R, as i have a couple of really large projects to backup.

whoaps... have done a bit more searching since i started writing... i think i found the answer on cnet.

dvd-rom drives cannot burn dvd's! is that correct? am very disapointed. i only bought this computer 6months ago! grrr
rgds
Atilla the Hun

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: can my d drive write to dvd disc's
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »
That is correct. You would need a DVD RW drive to record. DVD ROM drives can only view... Sorry!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

hywaydave

Re: can my d drive write to dvd disc's
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 08:35:04 PM »
You can get a dual format, double layer DVD burner for under $100 nowdays.  The double layer discs themselves are still a bit pricy, but these drives can also burn single layer DVDs, as well as CDs.  If you need additional help, or help choosing a good drive, you can reach me at ResourcePC

Dave