Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shutting off  (Read 2997 times)

elewayne

Topic Starter

Computer shutting off
    « on: June 20, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
    Hi, My computer has started shutting off by it's self. I'm thinking it may be that the room is too hot for it. It will shut off if the room temp is over about 79 degrees.
    Is there a way to adjust this? Could it be a power supply problem? :-\
    I built the computer myself about 4 years ago. don't know what to check.

Mulreay

Re: Computer shutting off
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
    Hi elewayne, welcome to Computer Hope. I know you have probably done all of this but if were talking temp then... how close is the back of your tower to a wall? Have you got any printers, drives or displays to close? Is your fan working? Have you checked your power saving options? Have a check and then please come back with some more info on your computer e.g OS HDD RAM etc.

xavier

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
    Open the case and check for dust [clean the inside] check to see if all fans are working.Leave sind off of the pc and hawe a small house fan blow air into case for a test.download speed fan to get your temp.Go into bios and check your cpu temp.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
    Also...

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    Post your computer temperatures:

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
      the cpu maybe overheating if you want to check the thermal paste.  I would attempt to add more fans to it if possible.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

interested

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:48:31 PM »
        hello friend, i think u should check your power supply ,processor problem or it could be from viruses and ram problem also .thank you

elewayne

Topic Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
          Hey, guys thanks for the replys.

I had done the easy stuff already. It is in a very clear space, not close to anything. I took it out to the garage and blew all the dust out with my air compressor. I have four fans and the CPU fan in it now. It has a Athlon xp 3200 processsor, 1600 GB hard drive
          And an Asus A7N8X mother board. Remember I built this about 4 years ago.
          someone mentioned getting into bios for a check of temps. It's been so long I can't remember how to access Bios. Help there maybe.
          I'll try loading that program later and see if that is useful.
          How would I check the power supply, just get a new one?
          Aslo, can I get new processor paste from the computer store?
          ??????????

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
            It could be several differnt things F10,Del,F2,F8 just try the f#.  You should be able to I dont recommened the silver get the white less messy. 
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »
            the white paste is ceramic based- Silver is Metallic. The Silver has a Higher heat displacement ratio. In general the White is cheaper, though.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
              tell me that after tring to apply it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »
              It's the same with both. a dollop in the middle, and the heatsink should spread it for you.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.