Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LINKSYS Wireless-G USB Network Adapter ???  (Read 3656 times)

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

LINKSYS Wireless-G USB Network Adapter ???
    « on: June 23, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
    Hi Guys,

I recently got a new netbook. (Samsung NC10) It runs with XP and has 160GB with 1GB of Ram. WI-FI & Bluetooth too.

My original question was going to be HOW CAN I CONNECT TO UNSECURED WI-FI CONNECTIONS WHILE I AM OUT ON THE ROAD. (I always see the many available unsecured networks but never seem to connect to any of them.  :'(   Ok, so.....  Instead of bothering you guys, I googled my question and read about Wi-Fi Dongle Boosters. (Good to know there is such a thing) 

Anyway, I also saw something called a USB Network Adapter and realized I had this in a bag under my desk. (It had belonged to my ex) It kinda looks like a mini version of my Linksys Wireless Router.  Here is the Link:
    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WUSB54G

Can someone tell me what this is? Also, will it boost me signal to my netbook when I am out so I can pick-up those 'unsecured' connections?

MP1975

Apprentice
      Re: LINKSYS Wireless-G USB Network Adapter ???
      « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
      You "SHOULD" just e able to use your new laptop to get a signal and connect to the internet. I do it all the time with a HP Dav2000. My sisters house, my girlfriends house coffee shops sometimes at work no matter where I am I just see a list of available connections click and presto!

Do you receive an error message?

You may see someones router that has no internet hooked up to it?

Weak signal?

Do you have the internal settings set correctly.

The 54G is an Adaptor which talks to the router and lets your laptop communicate through that router with the internet. My daughter had one years ago when I put the wireless in my house. You don't need that. Your laptop should be self sufficient.

It "SOUNDS" like it should be a very simple fix.
      Dream untill your dreams come true.

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
        Hi there,

I am not at all technichal so go easy on me.  ;) This is my 1st netbook/laptop and I am googling many things to tweek my new toy to the way I like it.

Let me first say that I get connection at home, no problem. Strength is strong. I am looking to pick up unsecured networks while I am out.

Ummm, I get an OptimumOnline connection when I am local (in the car) because it is my home service provider. They have send up many satellites for subscribers to pick up for free.  When I go (in the car) out of my 'range' for Optimum and try to log on to my netbook, I see a little icon by my clock that states I do not have a connection. It says to click on the icon for a list of available connections. I do so and see many unsecured connections and usually choose the one with the most 'bars' filled in green. (Meanng, the strongest connection) From there, the box just scans and scans and scans but never connects. It drives me crazy. (I don't get an error message)

I have no clue if I have internal settings set correctly. (Probably is set to whatever is came with)

Is there a way to get connection to these unsecured networks when I am out & about? What am I doing wrong??  ???

MP1975

Apprentice
          « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »
          Sounds like you are doing evrythign exactly the way I do. I am no EXPERT lol.
          When you view the links avail click on properties and see if everything looks right there.
          There should be no wep or passwords to put in etc etc. I acn't see you running inot that many routers not connected to a carrier? Though it happens.

You have Optimun online? lol

MomNEEDShelp

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »
            Hmmmm, where would I see/find the properties? How would I know if everything was alright there? LOL!! In case I have you fooled, I am very pc un-savey!!  ;D

Fill me in.....why the chuckle with Optimum?  ??? :)

Dee

MP1975

Apprentice
              « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
              No chuckle. Only connection I can get at work but I can't get in.

When you look at the list of avail connections, on mine anyway, in the lower right you should see properties. Just take a peek you may know more then you think. Remember you need no password no encryption etc etc.