Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovery/Reboot on custom computer  (Read 2754 times)

PillBaxton

Recovery/Reboot on custom computer
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
I have a custom built computer (built by someone else) that's been having some problems. It's filled with viruses, it's extremely slow, and needs to be fixed. I bought it 3 weeks ago from a guy who said it was brand new, no viruses, etc.. But I obviously got ripped of due to my own ignorance of computers.. :'( I've been trying to get a hold of him for the past couple days, but for some reason he's never by the phone.
It is a custom built computer, like I said, but it has a Windows XP SP1 O.S. Also, before it goes into the loading screen for windows, another brand I am unfamiliar with shows up called "ASUS" (I believe) and the model is "A8W-E". I'm not sure what that is, or if it helps you better figure out what I'm running.

The computer has slowed down close to a complete stop within the past week, (after running a spyware check it had 150 some suspected viruses on it). I've been trying to download a better anti-virus program but both of my internet browsers no longer work (I do have internet connection though). So basically I'm in a serious pickle.
I was wondering if I could just reboot/system restore to get rid of the viruses and just start off from scratch? Or will that not work due to the ASUS?
Also, if I am able to do system restore and whatnot, will the graphics cards and other drivers automatically reinstall themselves, or will I have to find installation disks for them?
I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

rmsaint

Greenhorn

Re: Recovery/Reboot on custom computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
    ASUS is the name of the motherboard's manufacturer. Should you start from scratch, you will need the ASUS motherboard support disc to install necessary drivers.  As for graphics cards and other drivers, most should be available on the manufacturers' websites.

Even though you already have two browsers, you can always dowload more (Flock or Firefox, for example). For antivirus software, I run AVG Free Edition (http://www.avg.com/download) and am quite happy with it. I also run Spyware Terminator.

I am far from being an expert and just putting in my 2 cents. Hopefully another poster will be able to provide a more comprehensive response.