Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound in only one ear/speaker?  (Read 6453 times)

hnbmilk

Topic Starter

Starter

Sound in only one ear/speaker?
    « on: June 27, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »
    Hello I recently upgraded my system with a new motherboard and processor. I also reformatted my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP. I installed all the motherboard drivers (including sound drivers) and everything seems to work great except the sound. Strangely, when i put on my headphones I can only hear sound coming from the right headphone speaker. I thought this could be a headphone issue, but when i tested the same pair of headphones on another device they worked fine. Also i plugged speakers into the computer and they also only play audio from the right. I checked my audio properties and settings and all the balancing settings seem to be fine. I'm using onboard sound (because it seems to be better than my previous sound card), and the drivers came with a "VIA HD Audio Deck". I can't find any balancing options there so i don't see how i could have muted the left... I've tried reinstalling the drivers, that did nothing. I have two audio inputs on my PC, both produce the same result with multiple audio devices. Also, when the headphones are inserted halfway, the sound seems to work perfectly. I would just keep them halfway inserted all the time, but the problem is really bugging me. Any ideas?

The motherboard I'm using is a ASRock A790GXH with onboard audio.

Thank you very much!

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Sound in only one ear/speaker?
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:41:41 AM »
    Also, when the headphones are inserted halfway,

NEVER do that, the 1/8" mini jacks do not secure themselves in that position and could transfer static to the mother board or other circuits.

Take the sound card out and exchange it, it's defective.
    Evil is an exact science.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:54:19 AM »
    I'm using onboard sound (because it seems to be better than my previous sound card)

Could it be something wrong with the jack built into the motherboard?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:51 AM »
    I missed the part about it being integrated... ...I must be getting tired.

There's definately something wrong with it, I would suggest returning the mother board for a replacement then.
    Evil is an exact science.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
    I missed the part about it being integrated... ...I must be getting tired.

There's definately something wrong with it, I would suggest returning the mother board for a replacement then.

Yeah, I agree 100%. If it works when it's halfway in, but not all the way, there's a problem with the jack itself. It's a lemon, get your money back (or a replacement board).

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
      Here is another thought before you run back to get a new Mobo. Look carefully at the connector on the cable from the earphone jack to the Mobo. Be sure there are 3 wires in it and that all 3 are securely snapped into the connector. Sometime one can migrate out of the housing.

Also check to see that  all 3 (4) are seated INSIDE the connector. These pins are easily deformed and one may be bent slightly and not inside the connector. There is also the possibility that the connector may be rotated 180 degrees from the correct position on the Mobo header. Some connectors are not physically polarized to prevent mis orientation.

Check all that FIRST, then exchange a part if it still doesn't work.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
      Here is another thought before you run back to get a new Mobo. Look carefully at the connector on the cable from the earphone jack to the Mobo. Be sure there are 3 wires in it and that all 3 are securely snapped into the connector. Sometime one can migrate out of the housing.

Also check to see that  all 3 (4) are seated INSIDE the connector. These pins are easily deformed and one may be bent slightly and not inside the connector. There is also the possibility that the connector may be rotated 180 degrees from the correct position on the Mobo header. Some connectors are not physically polarized to prevent mis orientation.

Check all that FIRST, then exchange a part if it still doesn't work.

Ok, it's a brand new board. Why should he waste his time fixing an obviously faulty jack when he can get it replaced free of charge? A brand new board should work 100%, not 99%. There's no reason to suggest he attempt to fix a physical flaw himself. He paid for it, he should get a board that works 100%.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
      • The wonders of modern technology.
        « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »
        Have you got another set of headphones you can try. It may be the headphones  at fault.
        Although everything stated seems to point to the motherboard jack itself or some other area pertaining to the audio circuit. Maybe even an electrical issue. Dry solder joints are notorious for poor connection issues.
        It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
        Have you got another set of headphones you can try. It may be the headphones  at fault.
        Although everything stated seems to point to the motherboard jack itself or some other area pertaining to the audio circuit. Maybe even an electrical issue. Dry solder joints are notorious for poor connection issues.

They mentioned they tried speakers as well with the same result.

hnbmilk

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
          Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah its definitely the motherboard then (100% sure nothing is wrong with the speakers or the headphones). Before I go out and get a new motherboard, do you think adding a PCI soundcard would resolve the issue?

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
            Just because a connector may have been carelessly installed on a MoBo does not mean the board is defective.

Would you replace a table lamp if the plug wasn't seated in the outlet? Why waste time and fuel before checking for a very common problem ? Why take take the time to strip all the parts connected to a mobo for the simple check of an improper connection first?

I have been building, installing and servicing AV equipment for 40 years. We always check for the simplest problems first before tearing into a piece of equipment. 95% of the time, the simplest problem is the cause of the headache.

hnbmilk

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
              Oh, and an additional note. I don't know if this tells anybody anything, but when i mute the left headphone I can hear a click. Same thing happens when i turn my computer on, there is a little bit of static in both ears and then it switches to just the right ear.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
              • The wonders of modern technology.
                « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
                Yes quaxo, thanks, I saw they tried speakers but often times speakers are an outside source for stereo equipment not designed for earpiece quality. They might have had the connection jack backyarded on to the jack. Twist and sticky tape for all I know.

I mean they will suffice for a test just to see if there is a connection and so on, but I would think a headset more qualified, wouldnt you?
                It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
                « Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »
                there is a little bit of static in both ears and then it switches to just the right ear

That seems like a short. 

1) Inspect the system if you are comfortable, to see if it's just an interior connection problem.

2) Return the motherboard if under warranty.

3) If expansion slots, and money permit, install a sound card, and disable the onboard video  ::) audio. (I are give goodest advice!)  (If you do not want to hassle with the warranty return.)
                « Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:11:18 PM by Aegis »

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
                Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah its definitely the motherboard then (100% sure nothing is wrong with the speakers or the headphones). Before I go out and get a new motherboard, do you think adding a PCI soundcard would resolve the issue?
                Probably. If you're going to get a PCI sound card, get something nice, like an Creative X-Fi. Worth the money.

Just because a connector may have been carelessly installed on a MoBo does not mean the board is defective.

...ok... so if it's not defective it's what? Working properly? A carelessly installed integrated part of the motherboard would indicate the item is defective. I never indicated they should tear anything apart. It should be returned to those that 'carelessly installed' that audio jack and be replaced with one that was not 'carelessly installed'.