Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Mobo ... But will windows work ???  (Read 6137 times)

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

New Mobo ... But will windows work ???
    « on: June 28, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »
    ok so im going to get a new mobo cos my last one has died (R.I.P. the game ruler - see http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=83459.0) :'(

anyways im going to get a new mobo but i am worried if XP will accept it...

I don't have a disk with the os on because the os is on the hd in recovery bit (partition ? i dont know the technical name ) , so when i want to sys restore i press F11 when the bios asks "press F11 for sys recover" but i am worried if it will do this so that i can install windows again...

I am really worried about this because i love xp and the others are just too unstable right now :)

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Intel Skt 775 Onboard VGA 8-Channel Audio mATX Motherboard

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227158

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New Mobo ... But will windows work ???
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
    Most likely you will need to do a Repair Install of XP....
    This is because XP will still be looking for the old hardware...
    You can borrow anyone's XP CD to do this ...unfortunately it can't be done from the Recovery Partition.

NOTE: The XP CD has to match both the version you have and the Service Paks installed....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
    If you are asking if there is XP support for that mother board the answer is yes.

I just checked Gigabytes web site and they have drivers available for it for XP.
    Evil is an exact science.

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
      « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »
      If you were using a proprietary (Dell, E-Machine, etc.) system, then it is likely that your XP drivers are specific to your old motherboard.  You may be able to update the drivers and continue with no ill effects or your computer might complain that you don't have the right hardware and refuse to load Windows.

Worst case scenario, you can purchase a copy of XP or you can install a copy of Windows 7 RC1 for a few months until you can acquire a copy of XP.

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
        hmm well , i have looked over the maula a couple of times and i have found that I can get a CD for my computer BUT I will have to move my hd to another computer so i can do so.

the desktop start menu on my old computer has a part where i can create a CD with the OS on it... but this is gonna be a pain...

The only other computer i have is my mum and dads and they dont like me using it... cos i might break it :)

anyways i was thinking i could attach the hd to their computer and there would be no probs but i was thinking What if...

What if the bios broke or something ... I don't want to risk something like that... can anyone be sure that itll all be ok?

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
          Aardobard in relation to your reply , I have looked into it and the lowest price i see for XP is around £30 for the upgrade or reinstall version

I was stunned that vista cost around £200 , thats a freakin ripp off,

As for windows 7 i cant even do that cos i dont have a CD... How do i get around that?

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:22 PM »
            Also I just need to be able to use my new motherboard with my PC. I already have XP... I just need XP to be compatable with the new motherboard and just ... well ... work :)

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
            Read my previous post.

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
              « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »
              If you don't have a CD drive  :o ...  look on craigslist, or freecycle and you can likely pick up a CDROM drive for free, heck, you can probably pick up a DVDROM drive for free, new DVD burners are $15 on sale.

The other option, as far as an OS goes is to grab a Ubuntu Live CD (but again, you'll need a CD drive).  That will allow you to access the internet, webmail, create documents and stuff.

But first... Try Quantos' suggestion.   

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »
              If you don't have a CD drive  :o ...  look on craigslist, or freecycle and you can likely pick up a CDROM drive for free, heck, you can probably pick up a DVDROM drive for free, new DVD burners are $15 on sale.

The other option, as far as an OS goes is to grab a Ubuntu Live CD (but again, you'll need a CD drive).  That will allow you to access the internet, webmail, create documents and stuff.   

???

What?  Re-read his posts.

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
                « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
                Ah, hehe thanks Quantos.  I plead temporary stupidity.  :P

So the correct answer is: You can legally download an iso of the Windows 7 release candidate (RC1) and burn it to a DVD.  Then you'll have your disc!

That sounds better, yes.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
                Ah, hehe thanks Quantos.  I plead temporary stupidity.  :P

So the correct answer is: You can legally download an iso of the Windows 7 release candidate (RC1) and burn it to a DVD.  Then you'll have your disc!

That sounds better, yes.

You still missed it.  He was asking about XP, I'm not sure what you are blathering about, he never mentioned wanting to run Windows 7.

The OP said
                I am really worried about this because i love xp

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 06:35:10 AM »
                  Hi again!

Well , I have been looking into windows 7 and it seems a decent OS BUT I have been hearing that it is imporrible to use it unless you already have windows XP.

I do have XP but i done a system restore after BIOS ran in fear and died and i am worried the bios might have created a corruption in XP? I have not come accross it before but just to check...

The other cost effective option involeves the name that should not be spoken "EBAY" *echo 3 times* not a very good choice I know but still... I have seen full versions of XP and Vista for £65 but there is one more thing i can do...

I have never had to install an OS before and i can guess that it would be a simple* (*sort of ) process but i have noticed that microsoft have released upgrades... Now what do you need to install the upgrades? I have seen that i need a version of XP but does that mean you need the cert of auth or the actuall full version running on your computer?

Quantos : I just need the pc to run like normal. Would the drivers mean that the XP version i have on my pc now will be compatible with the mobo i keep eye humping?! :)

*censored* is Ubunto?

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
                  Hi again!

Well , I have been looking into windows 7 and it seems a decent OS BUT I have been hearing that it is imporrible to use it unless you already have windows XP.

If the hardware will support it, then you can run Windows 7, it is not a pre-requisite to have XP.

I do have XP but i done a system restore after BIOS ran in fear and died and i am worried the bios might have created a corruption in XP? I have not come accross it before but just to check...

The BIOS only tells the computer what hardware you have and how to treat it.

The other cost effective option involeves the name that should not be spoken "EBAY" *echo 3 times* not a very good choice I know but still... I have seen full versions of XP and Vista for £65 but there is one more thing i can do...

I have never had to install an OS before and i can guess that it would be a simple* (*sort of ) process but i have noticed that microsoft have released upgrades... Now what do you need to install the upgrades? I have seen that i need a version of XP but does that mean you need the cert of auth or the actuall full version running on your computer?

If you want to run XP don't worry about Windows 7.  If down the road you change your mind then just buy the upgrade.

Quantos : I just need the pc to run like normal. Would the drivers mean that the XP version i have on my pc now will be compatible with the mobo i keep eye humping?! :)

Yes, it does.

*censored* is Ubunto?

It's a form of Linux.  It doesn't run games very well, and it's not user friendly.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »
                  *censored* is Ubunto

It's a form of Linux.  It doesn't run games very well, and it's not user friendly.

And it's Ubuntu;)

wait wait- NOT user friendly? I didn't find it that bad.
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.