Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD 3000+ 2.16GHz = Pentium 4 3Ghz ??  (Read 2556 times)

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
AMD 3000+ 2.16GHz = Pentium 4 3Ghz ??
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:42:59 AM »
Ok I called in from a newspaper add and agreed to buy a used computer from this guy that was 3GHz blah blah ect.. basic cd dvd whatever. When I get there he shows me a nice system and opens the specs "AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.16 GHZ". He says its an AMD and the "Clock Down" its more closer to a 3.3GHZ and a little better than we had agreed. I only understand the difference on how the processors work. Reguardless I am pleased with the purchase. After buying, I googled it to find most people actualy do compare it to a 3GHz P4 and its about 50/50 who think which is better. Also saw alot of AMD 2000+ Compared to P4 2GHz

The way I understand it, more information is alowed to move at the slower speed basicaly.  But do they in fact compare in this manner and what did he mean by AMD "Clock Down" ?

I just want to hear everyones views yea or nay, good or bad.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:56:50 AM by fat_basterd21 »
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: AMD 3000+ 2.16GHz = Pentium 4 3Ghz ??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:04:25 AM »
Basically, the 3000+ is a performance rating, it does roughly equal a Pentium 4 at 3GHz.
Of the two I'd pick the Athlon even though it's older, Pentium 4s put out too much heat for my liking.  With it being an Athlon XP as opposed to Athlon 64 (which is what I thought when I read this the first time) the Athlon may be slower than a P4 at 3GHz, but it's by no means a bad processor.
Not sure what he meant by "Clock down" here though.

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:33 AM »
Cool beans. Maybe what he meant by "Clock Down" is AMD show lower GHz than Pentium.

Yea I read that pentium do kick down if they get hot to keep from over-heating. Thats why they seem to get sluggish under lots heat.

What does AMD64 mean and does that have to do with Windows 64?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:59:09 AM »
Better that the P4s clock down to prevent crashing than just keep running until they die.
Older AMD chips did that (just kept going).  it's a design fault that they got so hot in the first place really though, so no advantages there.
AMD64 is AMD's 64 bit technology.  If you want to run a 64 bit operating system you need a 64 bit capable processor.  Athlon 64 onwards, and later P4ws on to the Core 2 chips are all 64 bit capable.  64 bit chips can run 32 bit OSes/software too though.
Hope this helps.

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:09:06 AM »
Yeap, thanks. I feel I learned something today ;)