Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another Windows 7 pre order question.  (Read 3792 times)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Another Windows 7 pre order question.
    « on: July 05, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
    I am a little confused about which version of Windows 7 professional to buy as far as 32 bit and 64 bit. I would like the 64 bit but Is It compatible with my computer? and how can I tell?, I know I am running 32 bit right now, But the Million dollor question Is can I run 64 bit on It.

I would like the Windows 7, 64 bit so I can load my Computer up with maximum ram. I am running a duel core processor so It should be compatible with 64 bit, One other question Is When I go to the website to pre-order Windows 7 I do not see an option to buy 64 bit, So what are you getting when you want to order a version, 32 bit or 64?. I  am assuming the standard Buy Is 32 bit.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:52:05 PM by srtony1946 »

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Another Windows 7 pre order question.
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
    1. Quick way to check your processor to see if it's 64 bit (should be, but won't hurt to check anyway)...

download SecurAble program from this link ... http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SecurAble-Download-73409.html

Run it, and if you see it says "64 Maximum Bit Length", then you are able to run 64 bit windows.

2. I'd like to know what website you are planning to preorder windows 7 from. Anyway... According to the FAQ via this link ... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx, Microsoft says that "You’ll get both. Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional packaged products include both 32- and 64-bit discs. " So ou'll get the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of windows in one package  and you can just install whatever edition that you want (and are able to) :)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
      As I said In my post, I KNOW THAT I AM RUNNING 32 BIT. But thanks for the Info about microsoft sending both 32 and 64 bit disc's. That was much needed info, And very good news. I will order as soon as possible. I think the rule of thumb Is As long as You have duel or quad core processors your OK , But the catch Is you have to enable  the processor and mother-boared In bios . http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade/product/8BB1A4B4.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:02:50 AM »
      No, the rule is, you can ONLY run a 64-bit OS on a 64-BIT processor. wether your currently running 32-bit is irrelevant. Although personally I just use CPU-Z for that.

Also re: the versioning I think you get both 64-bit and 32-bit when you buy an edition.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
        So, You are saying that my intel core duo 8400 processor Is not 64 bit? therefore I cannot run 64 bit OS? IF I am not mistaken this link says it does..http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910 But I am not sure, just asking.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:19:46 AM »
        Your CPU is 64 bit, so you can run a 64 bit OS.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
          Thank you calum, I thought I was right. Thats great news !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
          So, You are saying that my intel core duo 8400 processor Is not 64 bit? therefore I cannot run 64 bit OS? IF I am not mistaken this link says it does..http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910 But I am not sure, just asking.

never said that.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.