Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: migrating outlook contacts and calendar to outlook express  (Read 2830 times)

hl1128

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

migrating outlook contacts and calendar to outlook express
    « on: July 06, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »
    Hi; Just got a new computer with outlook express part of the office suite that was downloaded on it.  There's no outlook as the office suite is the Home and Student 2007 version.  Apparently there is no upgrade available for this to go to the normal Office Suite which is why the H and S version is so inexpensive.  Ok, now, I just lost a job and they were kind enough to give me a cd rom with my contacts and addresses burned on it.  At the job I used Outlook. The contacts and addresses are .pst files.  As far as I can tell, Outlook Express doesn't recognize or convert .pst files to Outlook Express files.  This is super important information.  Is there any way that anyone knows to make this work or do I have to purchase a full new Outlook 2007, which I obviously would rather not do?  Alternatively I would love to know if I could go to Microsoft and said you never told me you couldn't upgrade and I can't migrate my files now to Express.  Really is pretty awful predicament.

I also have a Mac desktop, newish.  If anyone knows how I can migrate the .pst files into Mac's email, e.g. iMail, I'd love to know that as an alternative. 

Please folks, this is a real and rather urgent need for assistance as I need to advise people I haven't died or worse and am doing business, albeit not quite the same way.

Thank you all very very much.
    Harley

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: migrating outlook contacts and calendar to outlook express
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
    Hi; Just got a new computer with outlook express part of the office suite that was downloaded on it. 
    Outlook Express (OE) is not part of any office suite; it's just an email client that's on all Windows systems up through Windows XP.  Microsoft replaced OE with Windows Mail in Windows Vista systems.

Open OE and go to File | Import, select Outlook, and see whether it will work.  I can't say for sure whether it will work; it may only work with Outlook installed on the same computer.  But, give it a try and see whether it allows you to navigate to the location of your .PST file.

If that does not work, I suggest you download an email client called Thunderbird and go to http://lifehacker.com/340521/import-outlook-pst-files-into-thunderbird-with-pst-import and get a plug-in that enables Thunderbird to import .PST files; you'll see a link for PST Import Plugin on the page.

hl1128

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
      thanks, this is enormously helpful

hl1128

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
        one more question; i downloaded Thunderbird (VERY nice) and migrated the OE info over. OK, all went fine.  Then found the link you suggested for the plug in to get the pst files.  downloaded it and extracted the zipped file.  how do I get it plugged into the Thunderbird program?  Thanks again. Harley

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
        Well, this reference, http://support.real-time.com/tbird/outlook_import.html, seems to imply Outlook mail and contacts can be imported without installing a plug-in. Does that work?