Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with graphic intensive computer games  (Read 4162 times)

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Problems with graphic intensive computer games
    « on: July 09, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »
    Hello. I would like some help for my computer as this problem has plagued me ever since I purchased this graphics card. I believe when I installed it, everything seemed fine. Several MMORPGs played amazingly well for a while. Then I started to up the ante by playing games with higher PC requirements. One of them is Devil May Cry 4 and every time I play the game, after a short period of time, the game starts messing up. The screen freezes and eventually the sound messes up as well. This error also shows up on some of the MMORPGs I play as well, but only when they're windowed.

I started looking into the problem. I checked the nVidia drivers and I'm almost positive they're up to date. I also checked to see if the video card is installed properly and it looks fine. It may have something to do with the fan since the situation got slightly better after I got rid of the rust. Also, it seems that the machine often gets very often when this happens and when I try to immediately reboot after, nothing happens. As I play any of these graphic intensive games during cold temperatures, it took longer to have this same exact error spring up on me. I was thinking it may be due to the cooling system, rather than a software problem. I hope this isn't the case but if it is, then I guess it can't be helped.

Here are my computer's specs. I've also posted screenshots of what the screen looks like when this happens. I appreciate anyone who is willing to help. Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems with graphic intensive computer games
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:46:43 AM »
    Welcome to the forums.
    This definitely looks and sounds like an overheating problem to me.
    Could you post as much information about your computer's hardware as possible please, so we can see what we're dealing with?

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:40:27 AM »
      Oh oops I forgot the specs. Here they are:

Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
      2 GB Ram
      NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
      Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
      Using a Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM/G22PW/220WM

That's all I can think of. Please request any information you may need to help me solve this problem. Oh and I forgot to mention, this computer is custom built.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:23:50 AM »
      What case do you have, and what cooling setup?

The most likely culprits are dust - check here or bad airflow.

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »
        It's a Dell case. And how do I find out what cooling setup I have?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
        I thought it was custom built?
        By cooling setup, I mean how many fans, what size, placement, etc.

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »
          It is but all the stuff is placed in a Dell tower/case.

I don't know the exact setup. Actually, I'm not even sure where the fan is. I've taken a picture of what it looks like though, if that helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 07:36:53 AM »
          Wow ... it sure is dusty in there.
          With it being a Dell case, they're usually designed to accommodate the components that were originally in there, and no more, so you're likely to run into cooling issues.  Some Dells have no fans, or just a single quiet fan - I see only one fan in your pictures, which isn't enough really.
          What machine was the case originally from?

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
            No idea. I always thought custom built computers were full proof but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, is there anything I can do besides cleaning the fan?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:47 AM »
            You can clean the fans and the dust from the rest of the system, and you could add more fans.  With it being  a proprietary case, it's probably not possible to add more fans though.

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
              If I can't add more fans, is it possible to add a cooling system of some sort? Or what about switching the power supply to something more efficient? (I heard this from a computer repairman of mine a while ago) Or can I do nothing else?

killerb255

Adviser
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
                No idea. I always thought custom built computers were full proof but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, is there anything I can do besides cleaning the fan?

I think we're confusing what you mean by "custom built."

Typically, when telling a computer geek you have a "custom built" computer, that usually means that all the parts were bought separately (case, motherboard, processor, memory, power supply, video card, hard drives, DVD burner, etc.), and put together without the blessing of a brand name like Dell, HP, Gateway, or whatnot.

In this case, you have a "factory built" or "brand name" PC.  Perhaps Dell had an option on its website for you to "customize" it or select your own parts, but using the term "custom built" to describe anything with a brand name on it is going to cause confusion.

Onto the problem at hand, overheating could be the problem.  You can either clean out the fan using canned air (the stuff that you get from an electronics store that they don't sell to minors for fear of them trying to get high off of it), an air compressor, or a vacuum.  Just be careful with whatever you use.

Alternatively, it could just be a bad video card.  Usually when there are artifacts like that on the screen, that means the card is bad regardless of what temperature it's running at...
                Quote from: talontromper
                Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

jimbo8098

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
                  I doubt that it is just the graphics card's fault since he said that the sound is acting up too killerb...

Yes , I would also suggest that this could be a cooling issue. But before you even think about going into the case when installing your drivers for the graphics card did you remember to delete the old driver first? I would suggest

1) downloading this program

http://majorgeeks.com/Nasty_File_Remover_d3233.html

I used to use it and it works...

2) then uninstalling the drivers from start > control panel > add/remove programs > nvidia driver ver xxx

3) after uninstall run the program by selecting your driver manufacturer (nvidia or ati usually but others do exist)

then do a full reinstall of the latest driver , this should stop any conflicts of drivers from happening  abnd from your problem this would seem more the case of this than cooling since your graphics card does seem to have a fan attached...
                   You will have to try and move the wires from the power unit to the inside of the case , closer to the motherboard.

If that does not work then you will have to buy a new fan if there are useable fittings for the device...

but I would also advise you to try the onboard graphics to see if it is the monitors fault or maybe the graphics card?

THIS PROBLEM MAY WELL BE DOWN TO YOUR GRAPHICS CARD THOUGH so be prepared to take it back to the shop if it is faulty...

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

Bashum100

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »
                    Alright so thanks for the advice guys. I'm actually leaning toward the fact that this video card is faulty but I will try to clean the fan as well. I doubt that'll do anything but it's worth a shot. I have a feeling the drivers are fine because I just installed them a while ago but I'm willing to try reinstalling them again. If there's anyone else who can give me a different solution, please feel free to give it a shot. Thank you!