Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shared Printer  (Read 2004 times)

cocopli

Topic Starter

Starter

Shared Printer
    « on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
    I have set up a home network with two computers, the first is "hard wired" to the wireless router and the second computer via wireless card. I have set up the shared printer on the first computer, USB port, and can see the shared printer on the second computer.
    When I send a Word document from the second computer to the shared printer I get a error message that the document failed to print. Checking the printer icon the status is "Error-Printing".
    I've gone through all the help topics and trouble shooting but could not resolve.
    The first computer is running XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 and the second computer is running XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. Could this be a problem other than just the printing problem?
    Thanks

GlitchPC

Re: Shared Printer
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
    Is the driver for for the printer installed on the second computer?  Did you add the networked printer to the second computer?

cocopli

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
      Thanks for the help.
      I don't have the printer driver on the second computer but do have the printer shared.
      I'll load the driver and see if that will work.
      Thanks again

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
      You're welcome...keep us posted.

cocopli

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:28:13 PM »
        Just happen to think (reacted too fast on my first reply). The second computer use to be 'hooked' up to the printer so the driver is installed. I moved the second computer to a new location and installed a new computer, computer #1, at the printer location.

GlitchPC

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
        Check to make sure there are no documents stuck in the print queue.  If there are...clear the print queue and try to print again.  Just right click the printer icon in the system tray of the main computer...or open Printers in Control Panel...right click the printer and select Open.  Are there any documents there waiting to be printed?  Make sure you cancel all print jobs.  Sometimes a document that failed to print will cause this error.  Also make sure you've added the printer on the second computer.  You need to Open Printers through the Control Panel and select Add Printer.  You want to add a Network Printer.  If the printer has already been added make sure it is set as the default printer.

Did you do the above when troubleshooting?