Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help ||| Windows XP automatically booting || Critical DATA.  (Read 2915 times)

rseni

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have a windows XP based P||| 128 MB RAM system. It is a standalone machine not conectd to the internet & mainly used for accounting purpose (critical data).

For some important task I connected it to the internet however after 4 to 5 hours it crashed giving the following error  :o
    "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority\system.Windows must now restart because Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service terminated unexpectedly."

The system then shuts down after 60 sec. I did not understand the problem however the next day my WinXP crashed and giving me a message that
    "Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. You may be logged in using a temporary User Profile. "

Windows was not able to load my actual profile but instead loaded the default TEMP profile which will not save your work once u reboot. However all my data in My Document of original profile were deleted when I tried to search for my original profile while logged in with the TEMP (default) profile. The original user profile folder appears as squares or other unusual characters in the folder name. All the other folders inside this folder also had unusual character names as well as the files contained in those folders. In My Document folder (somehow guessed the name) most of the files were deleted.

I installed a new WinXP on my third partition (E:), installed Avira Antivirus, scanned and found the following:
    1."isass.exe" virus in my systems folder.
    2. "winzip_tmp.exe"
    3. "Temp.Htt" virus on all my drives (C,D,E).

I quarantined all of their instances. WinXP is now installed on E: drive. Thinking my system is safe and sound once again. I began work and again connected it to the internet.

::)But now it rebooted automatically ( no error this time, no blue screen etc) so I had to disconnect it from the internet.

However the system keeps rebooting automatically in a matter of 5 or 10 minutes. Sometime the system failed to recognize the hard drive and gives message "system disk error" message. If I power off completely then it recognizes the hard disk and again boots up but wont recognise E: drive but instead recognizes C: drive (remember I installed another winXP on E:, did not format C:).

So i proceeded to install another fresh copy of XP on C: by formatting it with FAT32, installed F-Secure anti-virus and scanned the whole system but it did not find any virus or anything however the rebooting problem still remains.

The system does not recognize WinXP installed on E: but directly boots to C:

The system would reboot unexpectedly within a space of 5 - 30 mins automatically with no error msg. The reason I have detailed my problem is because I have all my accounting data on D: drive.

Are there any viruses, spyware still on the system. Is there a problem with the registry which automatically reboots the system.

Please help me resolve the issue as soon as possible as all my work is held up due to continous rebooting of the system.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Romesh
     :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help ||| Windows XP automatically booting || Critical DATA.
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »
    the problem is that you keep attaching an unpatched and unprotected XP system to the internet.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rseni

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Help ||| Windows XP automatically booting || Critical DATA.
      « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »
      THOUGH I AGREE the system being unpatched, however I never used to connect it to the internet until that wretched minute. Surely someone could give me a more creative response than that.