Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Small Business Server 2008  (Read 5369 times)

snehadulur

Topic Starter

Rookie

Small Business Server 2008
    « on: July 13, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »
    We have a Power edge 2400 dell server running with sbs 2000, with all the client computers connected to it running on a network, we recently got a new server with sbs 2008, I am not able to connect the clients to this server because it has created a network of its own, when I run the connect program on the clients it gives me an error.
    The old server is acting as the domain controller, they are both connected to the same router. How do I connect the clients to the new computer now, I am not able to migrate because our old server has no active directly and nothing has been configured on it properly, it has been used as a file sharing system all these years.
    Waiting for replies

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Small Business Server 2008
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
    I've no idea about SBS2008, but SBS2000/2003 were intended to act on their own within a domain.  They don't play nicely with other domain controllers.  I strongly suspect the same is true of 2008.  You will need to remove the clients from the 2000 domain (while connected to that server) and then join them to the new domain with the new server connected.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

snehadulur

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »
      I was just going to send my question as a personal message to you. I was looking into how clients can be removed. I could join one computer by changing the domain on MY COMPUTER to the servers domain, but it does not work as expected, it is recognized as a client, but it says "No DNS entry for this computer is available"

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
      Change it first to Workgroup then restart. After restarting, you can move it to your new domain.
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »
      Jerry took the words right out of my... keyboard.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
       ;D Its just that I'm on the other side of the world. You're probably sleeping when Im awake,  :)
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano