Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display settings revert to 8 bit colour on reboot in XP Pro  (Read 4057 times)

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi all

Window XP Pro
    Latest Windows Updates
    Nvidia GeForce 8600GT Video Card + Latest Driver

Recently my sons PC, the display settings on start up have been reverting to 8 bit colour.  I configure the settings as required and the PC works fine.  Then when the PC reboots it reverts back to 8 bit colour again.

I have removed the graphics drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers with no effect.  Same problem occur.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Technowarrior
    You are what you do not what you say!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Display settings revert to 8 bit colour on reboot in XP Pro
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
    Bad card?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
    Does the problem occurs when you have XP load its generic drivers?
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
      Hi Guys

Sorry I have not posted for a couple of days but I have been away.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Well here is what I did.

I started from scratch.  Removed the graphic card and the monitor drivers and used Microsoft's generic drivers.  I like the way you are thinking Jerryheavyarms!  Sadly this did not solve the problem.  Slaved an identical Graphics card in as still the problem remains.

I checked Windows was fully updated, clean installed graphics drivers (nope) Clean installed Monitor drivers (nope).

Decided to use msconfig and by a process of elimination under the start up tab, I concluded the mouse drivers were causing the problem.  I have a Roccat Cone Mouse so I removed the moused drivers and hey presto everything worked fine.  I downloaded the latest mouse drivers from there website and guess what?....................................... .........
      nope!  The problem occurred again.

Bearing in mind I have rebooted the PC over 30 times by now, nightmare and boring.  So I removed the mouse drivers and it works fine.

I have emailed Roccat Kone manufacturers and made them aware of the conflict with my system.

I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your input.

Technowarrior
      You are what you do not what you say!