Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot up properly  (Read 2505 times)

Teddyknuckles

Computer will not boot up properly
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:50:51 AM »
We have a couple home PC's (used mainly for gaming and saving family photos) in our house.  Tonight, my wife was playing a game and her computer froze up.  When she tried to do a hard boot - she was able to get through the logo screen for Windows XP Professional and click to login as admin (per the usual) but once she clicks ok - the screen goes to a blank blue screen and will not bring up the desktop.  After a couple minutes an error message comes up that says;

"Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library
program: \??\C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
this aplication has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Also, the wallpaper photo of my daughter comes up after a few minutes.  But no icons appear on the desktop.
The main thing we want to try to accomplish is saving all our family photos that she was in the process of backing up on dvd.  Hoping that all this data is not lost forever.
A couple things to note about this computer - it's a home built job - built by my buddy who worked in IT at my company - he put the whole thing together about 6 years ago.  Sadly he passed away last year from complications due to an injury he sustained from mixed martial arts boxing.  Yes, more info than you need to know except for the fact that all the Windows discs/passwords etc were all in his possesion and I'm unable to get them ever again.  I don't even have a copy of the windows xp disc he used to install it. 
I wish I could tell you more about the OS/system.  I tried going into the safe mode and "using last known working configuration" but these didn't solve the problem - same thing happens.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-Knuckles (first time poster)

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer will not boot up properly
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:08:36 AM »
If you only wish to backup your files (which are mostly likely just fine) grab the latest release of Ubuntu Linux. You just burn it to a disc and it will boot "live" which means you dont have to install it. Just boot from the dc-rom. Then you should be able to access you files.

www.ubuntu.com

If you like Ubuntu you can install it also. Its a little different than windows. If you decide to install you should backup all your files first and then formant the hard drive to remove everything.
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Computer will not boot up properly
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »
I tried going into the safe mode and "using last known working configuration" but these didn't solve the problem - same thing happens.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-Knuckles (first time poster)
Did you try removing all password in the BIOS? Try booting to safe mode (not "safe mode - last known working configuration"). You might try logging on as a different user than administrator just to see if the administrator account has been accidentally modified.
I'm no guru on here but I suspect this thread might require more information such as PC type, CPU, motherbord make - model ect.