Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player Not Installed Properly  (Read 2984 times)

HollowNobody

Windows Media Player Not Installed Properly
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
I had to rollback my WMP 11 to WMP 9 to correct a problem I was having with it rearranging my music library awhile back. So now I'm trying to reinstall WMP 11 since it is the version I prefer. The installation goes fine and doesn't appear to have any problems. However I keep getting an error message when I try to open the program that says:

"Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site? Yes/No."

-Choosing "yes" takes you back through the installation process and doesn't remove the error.
-Choosing no...well does nothing.

So I tried to reinstall it by rolling it back to WMP 9 again, and doing a fresh install of WMP 11. It also results in the error message reappearing.

Does anyone know of a solution?

[System Specs]
Model: Gateway E4300
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) SP3
RAM: 3GB
Hard Drives: C:/ - 74.5GB, E:/ - 465GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Anitvirus: AVG Free v8.5

HollowNobody

Re: Windows Media Player Not Installed Properly
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
I just thought of something...
each time the program starts to do this is after an automatic update.
Perhaps something in that update causes the error.

HollowNobody

Re: Windows Media Player Not Installed Properly
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »
Wow, this is more like a self-help forum than anything else...

Alright, so I have determined that it is in fact an update that is causing the problem. I have set my automatic updates to notify me before downloading and installing. Now I intend to rollback to 9 once again, reinstall 11, and when the update comes up again I should be able to get at least a name for my problem.