Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shuts down during downloaded games, online games, randomly it seems.!?!  (Read 3569 times)

pollywog7311

Topic Starter

Hi, you guys. Here's some of my system info.
    HP Pavilion 6623.
    Celeron processor : 533mhz
    Core version :         4.06
    Installed memory:   256mb
    Windows XP  operating system

This is an old computer, but its what I've got. It was running fine, no crashes or problems until I had this guy install more memory and wipe the old stuff from it. He installed Windows XP, SP3, and the extra memory. So it changed from Win98, with 128 mbs ram to Windows XP with 256 mbs. Upgrades are cool huh? Well....
    I got charter cable to hook me up with some internet and my "new" computer starts out fine. But it won't play some of the games I download, probably processor speed too slow, but will play some. IF it ever starts the game I can play. Recently its started shutting down and rebooting right in the middle of a great game. javascript:replaceText('%20???',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);
    Steams me up. Just stops and then reboots.
    I noticed that my I.E.8 crashes ALOT. Sometimes during browsing, or gaming, or in the last part of a download.
    I finally read somewhere to change settings so that it won't auto reboot.
    That's when I get
    ERROR MESSAGE
    STOP
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
    0x00000050
    then tech info
    (0x80461400,0x00000000, 0x805679E1,0x00000000)
           (during downloaded game it crashed)
    Message advised me to try disabling BIOS shadowing or caching.
    Went to (phoenix)BIOS setup but was unable to find any way to do that.

Next day I am playing a very small file sized room escape game online when again BSOD. Different message tho.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

stop  0x00000019
    (0x00000020,0x80244838,0x80245578,0xBA846CO)

Since then I've been trying to find info on those messages, and any related to my problem. I am fairly competent when things are running as they should be, but am at a lose and need advice.
    Should I just shoot the guy? Did he mess me up? What can I do? Am I going to have to go back to using my computer as a really big solitaire game? Hope not. My mom stays on this computer a lot and I am to the point where I want to disconnect  it and give IT a good BOOT!
    Oh yeah if it matters is wireless network adapter by netgear wg111 or close.
    Nuff. Sorry it was so long but was trying to get as much info to you as I could think that might be useful. Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Pollywog

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    well, first, those errors are the type you would see with bad RAM. the installed RAM might be incompatible. Personally, I have a 350Mhz (well, now it's 475Mhz...) Machine with 256MB and it ran XP no problems (and a few games) and still runs well, when I use it. It might not necessarily be that the RAM is bad but rather that you either have a mismatched pair of RAM sticks or the motherboard might simply dislike the new stick.

Another thing that could be causing this is your drivers; also, since most of your issues appear to occur only while using the net, it could be a problem with the Wireless device your using (is this a USB device?).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    not sure if this will help but uninstall IE8 through add/remove programs. When you restart it will automatically roll beck to 7.

How long has it been since the guy wiped it out?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

pollywog7311

Topic Starter

It's been about 2 months. Like I said, it didn't do that before it was connected to the internet. I'm gonna try what you guys have suggested, starting with getting rid of IE8. It aggravates me anyway.
      I'm worried about removing the memory sticks tho. It won't cause any more problems will it? I mean all of my important stuff is on the disk, not those sticks right? Well wish me luck!
      Thanks a million.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Removing RAM has no impact on your hard drive, and your data.

Also...

Open Windows Explorer.
      Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
      If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.
      Vista users. You may need to copy .dmp files, paste them into some other folder, or desktop, and zip them there.