Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drivers needed for DVD+RW  (Read 5199 times)

Brad Jacobs

Drivers needed for DVD+RW
« on: May 29, 2005, 03:21:33 PM »
Hey everyone. I've been trying to find drivers for my DVD+RW for quite some time now. I don't have them on disk, I didn't recieve them when I bought it. I can't burn or play DVDs with it. So, I searched the net over and over and can't seem to find anything. The problem is that I don't really know the name of the manufacturer. I think it might be just a generic DVD+RW. Anyway, here is the info I have on it:

ATAPI DVD+RW 8x4x12 (ATAPI isn't an actual brand is it? I thought it just had to do with the specs of the DVD drive)

Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Current driver info:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver date:  7/1/2001

Driver version: 5.1.2535.0

Driver signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

Also, I went to the "ATAPI" "homepage" but it just says they don't give out drivers, and that would make sense if they aren't a manufacturer. If anyone could help me figure out how to get my DVD+RW working, I would be extremely greatful. Thanks in advance.

Raptor

Re: Drivers needed for DVD+RW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 03:25:55 PM »
You may need to find the defect elsewhere as any CD/DVD-ROM device should automatically work.

What are the precise symptoms of your problem and when have they first commenced?

Brad Jacobs

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 03:32:17 PM »
Well, it works as a CD drive and a CD+RW automatically with the installed windows drivers. But, from what I understand you need a DVD decoder or the drivers for the specific drivers to enable DVD functions.

It hasn't worked with DVDs since I first bought it, for the reason above, I would think.

Brad Jacobs

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 03:38:52 PM »
The exact error is just the basic:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 09:17:06 AM »
You may need to download decoders such as Divx and AC3 (Audio Decoder). I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to these decoders, but I suggest you look for WinDVD and PowerDVD. Both are often shipped for free (limited capability versions) with ATI and Nvidia videocards.

Brad Jacobs

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 08:20:59 PM »
Ah, yes I do have an ATI card. I'll look through my cds again for that. Thanks for your help.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 10:50:35 AM »
Do return if your problem is not solved by installing additional decoders.