Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choosing an agp video card (was: WD hard drive click, click, etc)  (Read 3426 times)

LocalHero

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm trying to figure out what kind of video card I need that would meet these needs:

AGP 4x/8x slot
    supports dx 9
    DVI output
    capable of 1680x1050 resolution
    suitable for watching movies and tv (I'm not a gamer)
    $25 or less.

I've been looking on Ebay and there's lots out there, but there seems to be a lot of opinions on which cards support the 1680x1050 resolution in digital and manufacturers are not very clear on that one.   

Is it reasonable to assume any card from 2006 on will support my monitor's native res with new drivers?

Most manufacturer's are clear on the dx9 question though I'm unclear on the differences between "supports", "capable" and "compliant".

Finally, do I need more than a 128MB card if I'm not gaming?

Thanks,
    John

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Choosing an agp video card (was: WD hard drive click, click, etc)
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »
    Well, my dad just watches videos on his old dell along with doing some work things on his computer and he is happy with his 128mb nvidia geforce 5200card.

supports, capable and compliant -- this is what I think ..., supports and capable means the card can handle said operations or features (even if graphics card manufacturer is not required to include it) , compliant would mean it meets a certain requirement.  This is only what I think, maybe you want to look more into it for specifics.

LocalHero

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »
      But is he running 1680x1050 with dvi?

I gather the same thing.   "Compliant" might not be 100%.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
      Is the HDD still clicking ? ?...if so we can't recommend a vid card...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LocalHero

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
        Oops I should have changed the subject of this thread.  I was originally going to post the update about the hd here but realized it would be better on the original thread. 
        In short, I've replaced that hd and the new one is just fine.    I'm still trying to figure out how to recover my data from the old 40g hd or from the backup files I created.   

The new drive is 160g and more pertinent to the vid card, the new power supply is 480w.

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »
        Check out the XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT 256MB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X card from following ebay link....

http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-nVIDIA-GeForce-6800-XT-256MB-128-bit-DDR3-AGP-4X-8X_W0QQitemZ190325139373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item2c504327ad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There is still about 2 and a half days until bid ends, however, you might be able to get a good deal on this card. If you can get it for $25 or less, I would be amazed  :)

Yes, there are native DVI ports on the card and yes, you should be able to run your monitor at its native resoltusion

LocalHero

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:12 AM »
          Yes that would be a good card under $25.   A quick look suggests that they go for much more than that on Ebay.    Still, I'll throw in a bid....
          Would the 5200 cards be OK?  This one is an example: http://tinyurl.com/mlosh5
          They tend to go a good bit cheaper.

For DVI watching movies, tv but not gaming am I likely to need anything more than 128mb?

I set my budget low because this is an old box and it just doesn't make sense to put much into it.      Still, it's more than adequate for my needs if I can get the display digital.

I did learn that I am able to get the display up to 1680x1050 in vga with the newest drivers for my on board Intel Extreme graphics2 hardware.      It wouldn't allow me to do it thru normal windows display settings but a shortcut stuck on my taskbar that I almost didn't notice gave me more graphics options.

Thanks,
          John

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
          It should be tolerable enough to get you over until you get enough cash to seriously upgrade to a good machine. But I'd still try to get the 6800 at a potentially low price, it's got more memory, a better memory interface and would serve better.

I'd like to know too what processor you are using with the computer;  :)

LocalHero

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:48:11 AM »
            P4 3ghz
            1gb ram
            480w power supply

I mainly use the machine for surfing, email, minor photo editing, word processor, bookkeeping, etc.  so I don't need much.
            Watching dvd's and tennis is probably the most I ask it to do.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
            like I said, FX 5200 probably should be ok for you, it supports that big monitor resolution you wanted and secondly like I said if you can get that 6800 for cheap, it's a better deal.  :)

if you want another opinion on the FX 5200, you can ask el-bandit, the seller of the FX 5200 from your tinyurl link you listed already below