Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tapping F8 key, computer does not go into safe mode  (Read 14931 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Tapping F8 key, computer does not go into safe mode
    « on: July 29, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
       I recently discovered that I can't get safe mode to open by tapping the F8 key when my computer starts.  Even though I don't use it that much, I know it use to work by tapping that key at start up.  If I ever do need it in the future, I won't be able to open it as things are now.

I first went to a MS help site and it suggested that if the F8 key does not open in safe mode to then type in "msconfig" in "run" at the start menu and force it to open using the "System Configuration Utility".  It came with a warning though that said, to be very careful in doing this, because the F8 key should perform this operation if everything is working normally.  Since F8 will not open it, that is a good indication that something is wrong.  If the computer is forced into safe mode using the "System Configuration Utility" it may remain stuck in that mode and not be able to perform a normal Windows start up.  After reading that, I did not try to to force the computer into safe mode.

Then I thought I would try a "system restore" back to a time that I thought everything was working properly.  My "system restore" will only go back one day.  That was no help.  Back on the MS site I found an article that said, running a disk cleanup regularly( I have) will save some space, but it will also erase the restore points.  I never knew that before.

So... is there another way to restore safe mode on this computer at start up without trying to force it with the "System Configuration Utility"?  I suppose I could work around this problem by unistalling/re-installing Windows XP Pro SP3, but I really don't want to do that if there is another way.

I have also heard that by running the Windows installation CD, it will bring you to a "recover "command"  I tried that also, and when my CD played, its start page did not offer a recover command, and to go any further would have been a re-install.  I did not do that.

I have the following on my computer:

Windows (legal Copy) XP Pro SP3

Sunbelt antivirus and firewall/ current.  These two programs do not indicate they are blocking anything.

Webroot Spysweeper/current

Paretologic RegCure/current.  I am really confused about this because I read many reports indicating this was a great program, and now I am reading articles that state no registry cleaner is ever needed???  Also, this program stopped doing automatic scans and will only do a manual one.  Don"t know if any of this is related to safe mode not working.

Piriform Crap Cleaner/current

Advanced System Care/ current... I like all the features on this one, but I am almost expecting to hear something negative about this program also.
    Hope there are some suggestions as to how to correct this.

Thank you,
    beachguy

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Tapping F8 key, computer does not go into safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
    when are you pressing f8 during the boot process?

myself, I usually tap it constantly until the menu appears.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
       I recently discovered that I can't get safe mode to open by tapping the F8 key when my computer starts...

when are you pressing f8 during the boot process?

myself, I usually tap it constantly until the menu appears.
    BC is right!  But start tapping it as soon as you press the power switch.  If you wait more than a couple seconds, you will miss your "window of opportunity".  A price to pay for a fast computer, you've got to be faster!

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
      BC? Computer_Commando,
      Thanks for the reply.  I do tap the F8 key at start up.  On previousl starts I have tapped slowly, rapidly and I even held it down steady. None of that worked.  I also made sure I started tapping F8 as soon as I hit the power switch to boot up.  That did not work either.  However,  at this restart I did write down the 2 prompts that go flashing by on the screen.  They are:

*  invalid boot.INI file

* booting from C:\windows

Hope this extra info helps solve this.

Thanks,
      beachguy

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
      Paretologic RegCure/current.  I am really confused about this because I read many reports indicating this was a great program, and now I am reading articles that state no registry cleaner is ever needed???
      That's correct, and your startup errors may indicate some damage being done already.

Inability to start in Safe Mode may also indicate some infection.

Read here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
      Start new topic here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
      Do NOT post any logs in THIS thread.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
      Never had any problems with free software from Piriform, including CCleaner & Defraggler.  Been using them on 10-12 computers for a long time, OS's include Win98SE, Win2k-Pro, WinXP-Pro.  Never used with Vista.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »
      Registry cleaners are not recommended. Period.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:10:53 AM »
      Registry cleaners are not recommended. Period.

AMEN, they cause way more problems than solutions.  If it gets bad enough, just re-format the HDD after a year or so.
      Evil is an exact science.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
        Broni, computer_commander,Quantos Etc.

Thanks for all the input on registry cleaners.  It does get confusing because you can find lots of reveiws ranking and recommending them highly.  Even, here on Computer Hope, on your Home page you list PC Tools/Registry Mechanics at the top of the page as a recommended program, and the other 2 look like they would clean a registry also.  Just an observation.

Thanks again,
        beachguy

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
        The Ads although having been weaned out in the past do not reflect what we here recommend or suggest as fixes....part of the problems with having search indexes such as google determine where your revenue comes from...

Hope this makes things clearer.
        As always asking before trying a fix/product is the best rule of thumb...that's why we're here...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

owd51

Starter

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
          try this start > run > msconfig ok on the main screen go to header boot.ini  when this box appears check the box marked safeboot . When you restart the computer it should start in safeboot mode

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
          try this start > run > msconfig ok on the main screen go to header boot.ini  when this box appears check the box marked safeboot . When you restart the computer it should start in safeboot mode

he has already explored this option and stated why he did not proceed.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Szpixman

Intermediate
            « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:46:38 AM »
            Have simular problems with my computer...try this.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bootsafe.html

Good Luck.

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
              If you are using a usb keyboard try using a PS2 one.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
                Just saw this reply.  My Logitech keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard and all other functions on it are working.  Thanks though for the attempt,
                beachguy