Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Editing and laptop  (Read 2674 times)

john91722

Topic Starter

Starter

Video Editing and laptop
    « on: July 30, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
    Hi All,

I don't know much about computers so i have some probably basic questions.

I am looking at getting a new computer to use and was considering a laptop. 
    I also wanted to have video editing capabilities to make it easy to do editing of home videos and produce DVDs from them using the laptop.

I have a camera that is a non digital but does record to those mini DVDs. 

So one question is can you up load the video from a mini DVD thru a player and get it into the storage area to allow it to be worked on.  If not this camera has the separate audio video plug ins (Not USB) -can one get a lap top that takes those plug ins.

Second Q: can a DVD or blueray burner be installed in a laptop or are they too big?

Third Q is if the burner is too big is it possible to get a burner and connect it using the USB type of port to run it as an add on device?

Fourth Q is does a DVD burner or blueray burner also read DVDs?

Fifth Q is can a blue ray burner burn regular DVDs too?

I'd also be interested in some suggestions as to editing software.

Thanks all!

Mulreay

Re: Video Editing and laptop
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
    Q1 yes you can upload from a disk.

Q2 Most laptops these days come with a DVD burner there the same size as a regular cd/dvd player.

Q3 You can get external drives that fit on by USB yes.

Q4 yes they do

Q5 Blu ray burners are NOT cheap but yes you can get ones compatible with DVD.

Hope that helps. Welcome to Computer hope  :)
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:27:01 PM by Mulreay »

john91722

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
      Thanks so much for that reply.  I get intimidated asking at Best Buy or when they were in business Circuit City.  The staff always looked at me like I was from Mars asking these types of questions.

Next is: Does anyone have a favorite Software for doing the Home video editing?

I would like to be able to do the usual stuff with editing out the trash, adding music and voice overs plus a convert to B&W old film look and maybe sepia toned.
      Some can lighten dark scenes I heard.

Is there a way to capture an image from video to make it look like a snapshot?

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
      Thanks so much for that reply.  I get intimidated asking at Best Buy or when they were in business Circuit City.  The staff always looked at me like I was from Mars asking these types of questions.

Next is: Does anyone have a favorite Software for doing the Home video editing?

I would like to be able to do the usual stuff with editing out the trash, adding music and voice overs plus a convert to B&W old film look and maybe sepia toned.
      Some can lighten dark scenes I heard.

Is there a way to capture an image from video to make it look like a snapshot?

Glad you appreciated my comments.

As of the software do you want free or will you pay for it? There is a massive difference.

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:03 AM »
      Have a look here mate:

Software reviews

If you want freeware then let me know and I'll have a look  ;)

john91722

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
        I have heard that the free stuff or what comes as part of some programs is not too bad.  Also that pro type stuff can go for $500 or more, but I was thinking that is there are some programs at a $100-120 bucks that offered significant advantages over the free stuff or are better in the ease of use, I'd spend the hundred or so.

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
        Have a look here it seems to tick all the boxes. Its well within your price range as well. Hope that helps. If not post back and we can have another look for you  ;)

Video studio

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
          john91722,Another company's products that you may wish to look at before you decide is: http://www.magix.com/en-ca/us/  . I am a user of the Movie Studio suite and find it very user friendly. It will set you back well under your price range. The beauty of it is i believe they allow you to download a time limited free version of their software. So you could try it see what you think and then decide whether you want to buy it or not. truenorth

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
          Have a look here it seems to tick all the boxes. Its well within your price range as well. Hope that helps. If not post back and we can have another look for you  ;)

Video studio

This one can be tried for free, too.  ;)