Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epic Freeze Of Death - Safe Mode Not Working - Malware/Virus?  (Read 13982 times)

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi, I'm new here, very frustrated, and about five minutes from having a stompfest with my computer.

My problem started when I was playing a game on my computer and it froze. I couldn't do anything, so I restarted my computer by holding down the power button. It started up normally, came up to the desktop and started to load like it always does. I then noticed the icon that showed my wireless internet status didn't show up on the task bar. I waited another few minutes, still it never came up. So I opened the start menu to manually access my internet connection and my whole computer freezes except for my mouse. I had to use the power button to restart again. The same actions happened again.

Third restart I decided to use Avast! to scan. I clicked the icon, the splash screen showed up, it ran its memory test, the screen disappeared and then... nothing. The program never showed up. I clicked the icon again, it did its memory test and the actual program pulled a no-show. Then my computer froze again and I had to restart with the power button.

Next restart, I tried to run Malwarebytes. I selected the option for a full scan, it prepared itself for the scan, then the computer froze again. I let it sit for an hour, hoping it was only a temporary stall rather the the epic freeze of death but it was still stuck in the same spot; nothing worked except the mouse. I restarted and tried the quick scan option but it froze yet again after about a minute into the scan.

I restarted again, this time trying safe mode. It continued to start for a minute before it shut down and told me it couldn't do it. I tried all the safe mode options, all with the same result.

I also tried to access System Restore (Check Point Restore) but nothing seems to happen there either. The outline of the window showed up but thats as far as it got. (Curious side note: Upon looking for it, I opened the control panel. All the icons and options showed up for roughly five seconds before disappearing and showing the searching (flashlight and folder) animation. The computer promptly froze after that except for the mouse and the animation [which did ultimately stop, but not immediately.] It almost seems like a program has to 'start up' in the background and then freezes all actions. Is this just my imagination or could there really be something?)

Now I'm not sure what what to do. I don't really want to recover my system and wipe out all my files, although I'm afraid I might have to. I was hoping someone would have some solution or thoughts on this. Anything would be much appreciated!

Also, if I ultimately have to, should I use the Restore CDs (5 cds) or the Operating System Disk?

I have a Gateway computer using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I believe its a Pentium 4. I use Avast! and have Malwarebytes as a backup. (I do not know much about the computer itself; it was given to me by my father when I moved.)

Thank you so much for any help!
    ~Ashley

Mulreay

Re: Epic Freeze Of Death - Safe Mode Not Working - Malware/Virus?
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »
    We got there in the end  :D lol.

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
      Heehee, yay.  ;D

Just now I hope it gets solved before I need the computer and have to resort to an entire system recovery. :-X

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
      Heehee, yay.  ;D

Just now I hope it gets solved before I need the computer and have to resort to an entire system recovery. :-X

I'll have a word in the right ear for you see if someone will come have a look.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »
      hmm, not too familar with windows vista, myself.

personally, when I get freezes that hang the computer like that, it's almost always hardware, and in my experience, the first thing to check is the HD.

I'm not sure if you can, but try running chkdsk C: /r . If you can't get it to do that before it freezes- you'll need a windows vista CD, so you can do that in recovery console.

I was here a few minutes ago, saw your post Mulreay, and said to myself, "how much you wanna bet it's gonna be me?" LOL
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »
      saw your post Mulreay, and said to myself, "how much you wanna bet it's gonna be me?" LOL

Take it as a compliment  ;D

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »
        Thank you so much, Mulreay! And thank you for coming to help BC_Programmer!

(I have XP not Vista.)

BUT (big major BUT) the freeze has yet to take effect on the run/cmd program while the rest of the computer has frozen. :o I think that's a good thing! (But I don't have a clue how to run chkdsk, never done it before.) :-X Can you help with that lil bit please?

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
        Go to search when you press the windows symbol, type: CMD then when it opens type CHKDSK

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:04:44 PM »
        (I have XP not Vista.)

He should read a bit better lol... you should hear his stories though...

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
          Hmm, lol.  ;D

Ok, I have gotten that far. I added the c:/r like BC said earlier. The window then tells me:
          "The type of the file system is NTFS.
          Cannot lock current drive.
          Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

I'm going to guess that I want to say yes?

Mulreay

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »
          I would say yes then re-start.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
          yep, yes and reboot, it'll do a surface scan.

it takes a LOONG time.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
            Hmmm....
            It would not let me hit the restart button through the start menu or alt+ctrl+del because of the freeze, so I had to do a power button restart. Its loading up and being checked right now (on stage 2 of 5 with 15% complete.) Lol.

I hope this fixes it, or gets it workable enough to run a scan.  :)

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
            I hope so keep at it were gonna be here if it does not and help..  ;)

angel_below

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
              Thank you so much!  :D

Of course the weather decides it wants to get rainy and stormy after I start this, but hopefully there wont be a problem.