Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display goes crazy after long periods being unattended  (Read 2178 times)

Zander916

Display goes crazy after long periods being unattended
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
This is not MY description of the problem. However it is a description of my problem.

"This only seems to happen overnight or during long periods of non-attendence at PC. When it happens the window goes an off white/grey and is blank but jumps about with ghost images of the DC window flashing. Upload and DL activity continues. Can get a window back by guessing where DC is on the Task Bar and then right clicking on it and guessing wherte window minimize is on the pop=up menu. But can't use right click on any DC tab. Starts the screen jumping ang blanking.

Using Vista 32bit SP1. with recntly released DC++ 0.750

-Same problem for me with Vista Home ver 6.0.6000, when via Ctrl-Alt-Del activating the taskmanager, the DC flashes even covers that window (except for where the mouse recently updates a row), making it difficult to end the DC process and than restart it."

To add, web browsers (any of them from Firefox, IE, to Google Chrome) seem to trigger it most often, but not always. It could just be the fact that they require more resources from the display. I don't know..
Oh yeah, another more common symptom for me is the taskbar will ghost itself at the top of the screen. Mine is on the bottom like most users. It's only a ghost though. If I mouse on the bottom and click where the start menu SHOULD be... it's actually there but drops down from the top. Plus it's all choppy and broken up. It's strange.
If I try to CTL-ALT-DEL I get the windows BONG sound and the task manager won't pop up. Sometimes I get lucky and can do a normal shutdown. Upon restart it's fine.

Oh, I'm running a Dell Inspiron 530S. The computer came with Vista. (out of warranty now) The problem was there with Vista later on. I later put Windows XP Pro SP3 on. Problem was still there. So then later I bought an ATI video card. That didn't help either. I'm really at a loss. I'm thinking a hardware issue, but I don't know. Maybe it's simple like when my windows explorer kept crashing. It was the right menu third party shell extensions messing it up.

Any ideas??? I've searched a ton. I've found others with the problem but never a solution.

Thanks!!

smeezekitty

Re: Display goes crazy after long periods being unattended
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:45:32 AM »
try reseating or replacing ram
could be a hd problem

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs