Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CHKDSK will NOT run; Recovery Console triggers BSOD..  (Read 9196 times)

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

CHKDSK will NOT run; Recovery Console triggers BSOD..
    « on: August 14, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
    Hi, all.

A few days ago, I was unfortunate enough to receive the Advanced Virus Remover virus / scare-ware. I finally got rid of it with Malwarebytes, but now I cannot run the CHKDSK utility. FSUtil says that my volume is dirty but does not run auto-check upon reboot. When I try CHKDSK /F from console, it states 'Cannot open volume for direct access.' Trying to use the Recover Console, I get BSOD telling me to run CHKDSK /F and noting: STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I've also tried CHKNTFS /C and I get 'Cannot query state of drive C:'

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

C

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: CHKDSK will NOT run; Recovery Console triggers BSOD..
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »
    First, the correct command from the Recovery Console is chkdsk /r. Second, Malware Bytes is not an anti-virus utility. Do you have an AV installed and if so, did you run a full scan with that? Last, are you sure you are booting to the Recovery Console? It's VERY rare to get a blue screen from within the recovery console.

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
      First, the correct command from the Recovery Console is chkdsk /r. Second, Malware Bytes is not an anti-virus utility. Do you have an AV installed and if so, did you run a full scan with that? Last, are you sure you are booting to the Recovery Console? It's VERY rare to get a blue screen from within the recovery console.

I understand that Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus utility, but it usually does well at removing rogue software such as 'Advanced Virus Remover', the BleepingComputer community uses it on a regular basis. For the record, I have also tried CHKDSK /R

As for an 'Antivirus,' in certain terms, no. I use a few different cleaners, i.e. SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, HijackThis!, Spybot S&D and CC Cleaner. If things get bad enough, I pull out ComboFix. I refuse to use programs that contain spyware or will muddy my performance.

Yes, I am sure that I am booting to the Recovery Console. If I choose to enter safe mode and then boot the Recovery Console, I get a message about the volume being dirty (or something similar) and am sent on into Windows.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:03:44 AM »
      Your choice not to use an AV, but I can't help any more in that case. Good luck :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »
      If I choose to enter safe mode and then boot the Recovery Console, I get a message about the volume being dirty (or something similar) and am sent on into Windows.

hold on- booting to the recovery console is done via CD- there is no "safe mode" option, as far as I'm aware.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »
        hold on- booting to the recovery console is done via CD- there is no "safe mode" option, as far as I'm aware.

I have an option that I guess is installed with ComboFix in order for the program to work properly. It's definitely not a stock option.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »
        Ahh- do you perhaps refer to the "OS selection" menu that allows you to boot into recovery console?

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »
          Ahh- do you perhaps refer to the "OS selection" menu that allows you to boot into recovery console?

That's the one.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
          Do you have a windows CD to try booting into the recovery console from the CD instead? perhaps the on-disk recovery console files were corrupted in some way. (I'm kind of grabbing at straws here)

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
            Do you have a windows CD to try booting into the recovery console from the CD instead? perhaps the on-disk recovery console files were corrupted in some way. (I'm kind of grabbing at straws here)

That sounds reasonable, will give it a whirl and post the results.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »
            If you have a physical problem with the hard drive then the RC will probably be corrupted too.

How old is the computer?
            Do you have your windows disk?
            If notDownload Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
            Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
            Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
            Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
            When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
              I used the reinstallation CD's Recovery Console and I let it run over night (CHKDSK /r). Unfortunately, after starting it up normally, I tried to run CHKDSK again from Command Console in Windows and am getting the same error message, 'Cannot open for direct access.' If I try to run it directly from the Run dialog, Command Console flashes onto the screen and is gone as quick as it came. CHKDSK from the CD said that it did in fact fix errors in the volume, but if that's the case, then why can't I run it from Windows still?

Update: I am now able to run Disk Defragmenter from Windows (whereas before it presented an error dialog). I can analyze but upon defragmentation I get sent to BSOD:

STOP 0x0000003F ( 0x00000000, 0x00000011, 0x0000022E, 0x0000003DF)
              « Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:13:10 PM by CPitalo »

JJ 3000

Egghead
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
              Run hard drive diagnostics
              http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If the drive passes, visit our malware board here
              http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
              and start a new topic
              Save a Life!
              Adopt a homeless pet.
              http://www.petfinder.com/