Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No antivirus scans can run, memory diagnostics failed.  (Read 2815 times)

sycocoaster

No antivirus scans can run, memory diagnostics failed.
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:52:51 AM »
The first problem I had was I got a blue screen one day while playing a game and my computer just restarted.  The blue screen didn't stay up long enough for me to read anything on it.  I turned the computer back on, it got into Windows then went blue screen again and restarted itself again.  I tried loading in safe mode and my current antivirus (Avast) said it was missing a file to run a scan.  After a little time (in safe mode) got the blue screen again and the computer again quickly restarted itself.

The computer's a Dell, still under warranty so I called them and they had me run this massive diagnostics tool built in there and it found there to be no errors.  After that they had me restore the computer to factory settings and now I can use it again; except still no antivirus program will work at all.

I think it's a virus in that it causes every antivirus software I try to install (Avast, Avira and McAfee so far) to not be able to run at all.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling them many times and they all have various error messages saying files cannot be found to run them.

The other aspect to the problem is that from the glimpses I did catch from the blue screen message I read MEMORY_MANAGEMENT so I googled that and it seems to be connected to memory failure of one kind or another.  I figured out how to run the build in Windows Vista Memory Diagnostics tool and it said there was definitely a problem with the memory.

I'm not convinced that the issue is only with the memory, though, because I can run many programs without problems.  The problem seems to afflict antivirus software alone.

I've tried running various searches here in the forums and haven't found any other problems like mine, but if this has already been discussed please point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No antivirus scans can run, memory diagnostics failed.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »
You probably do have a virus stopping the scanners from running. I recommend running a scan with Housecall by Trend Micro http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ This will run a virus scan from within your web browser and shouldn't be blocked by a virus (Though it can in some cases be blocked)

Also try running a scan in Safe Mode - Just using your normal antivirus

Hope This Helps,
Cameron Gray

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: No antivirus scans can run, memory diagnostics failed.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and complete post 3 logs here an expert will see them