Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer cant turn on  (Read 12418 times)

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer cant turn on
    « on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
    I was on youtube and the browser (mozilla firefox) started going a little slow. Even the fully loaded vids kept freezing sometimes. So I restarted and I got those options, Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking and Stuff.
    I tried "Start Windows Normally". Immediatly when it got to the screen with the windows logo and the little loading bar (http://www.bartdesmet.net/images/bootlogo_xp.jpg) it displayed some white text in blue background and it restarted again. It was fast so I coulnt read anything. I tried "Last Known Good Configuration" and the same thing happened. Right now I'm in Safe Mode. Whats wrong. Any Ideas? I'm using Windows XP sp3.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer cant turn on
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
    While in safe mode go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings. Now uncheck "Automatically Restart". The next time that blue screen appears it should stay there until you hard reboot. Copy the error message on that blue screen and post it here.

Note - if you still get a reboot at the blue screen it is probably a hardware problem.

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »
      This is the message:

Code: [Select]
      A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Modeto remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
      *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x806A9F21,0xF78A2538,0xF78A2234)

I forgot to say in the previous post. When press Enter on Safe Mode with Networking and there are those writings I get this message:
      Press Esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys .
      If I dont press Esc there, then I get the blue screen again.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »
        Its called a BSOD or Blue Screen of Death.  I dont have your stop code sadly.  :'(  Dont we have a page with those listed?  Carbon,Patio????
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
        EDIT: incorrect link removed
        « Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:41:12 PM by ADG »

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »
          I dont know what to do in that page. If I have to download the hofix, I get a page cant be found error. Any other solution?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
          Disregard - I sent you to the wrong page - that is NOT your error - my mistake and I apologize. This is the correct page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Bottom line, first thing you want to do is update your Video & Audio drivers (from the OEM websites, not from Windows Update) and check for a bios flash.

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:27:30 PM »
            I get again the website not found error. Not even www.microsoft.com works.
            Maybe this is stupid but what are the OEM websites and where can I get a BIOS flash or whatever that is.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
            Okay. You need to find out the make and model of your video and audio cards (if you don't know them you can open Device Manager and get them there). Then go to the website of the manufacturer (OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer) and download and install the correct drivers. We'll worry about the bios later. And the fact that you can't get to these websites is also troubling. We may end up doing a repair install (you do have an XP SP3 disk, right?).

Below is a cut and paste from the Microsoft web page I cited above:

After you upgrade your computer to Windows XP, you might receive the following Stop error message when the computer starts:
            STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
            SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9
            Note The parameters and file names in this error message might vary, depending on the cause of the Stop error. The file name in the second line of the error message, WUSB54GCx86.sys, is an example of a driver file that might be causing the error.

This article discusses seven methods for resolving the problem. The first method is designed for beginning to intermediate computer users. The other six methods are designed for advanced computer users.

Because this article contains steps that involve restarting your computer, you might find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.
            Back to the top
            CAUSEThis issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error...This issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This exception can be caused by any of the following:
            If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
            The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
            The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
            A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
            If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.
            Back to the top
            RESOLUTIONUse the Windows Error Reporting toolYou can use the Windows Error Reporting tool...Use the Windows Error Reporting tool
            You can use the Windows Error Reporting tool to send information about the error to us and to obtain information about any available fix or workaround. Follow these steps to use the Windows Error Reporting Tool:
            When the Windows Error Reporting window pops up on your computer, click Send Error Report to send the error report to us.
            In the confirmation window that appears after you send the error report to us, click More Information. This helps you find any available fixes for the problem or information about how to work around the issue.
            If a fix or a workaround is not available, you can use the "Advanced Troubleshooting" section to try to resolve this issue. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to contact Support. For information about how to contact Support, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
            http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/ (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/)
            Back to the top
            Advanced troubleshooting
            Use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
            Method 1: Make sure that you have sufficient hard disk space
            First, make sure that you have sufficient hard disk space. The Stop error can be caused by insufficient hard disk space.

If you can use safe mode or the Recovery Console to start the computer, delete any unnecessary temporary files, Internet cache files, program backup files, and files that contain saved file fragments from disk scans (.chk files). You can also install Windows XP on another hard disk that has more free space.

If you cannot start the computer, go to the next method to update the computer BIOS.

For more information about safe mode or the Recovery Console, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
            315222  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/ ) A description of the Safe Boot Mode options in Windows XP
            314058  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/ ) Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
            Method 2: Update the computer BIOS
            If freeing space on your hard disk did not resolve the problem, the BIOS might have to be updated. Use the hardware and software vendor contact information articles that are listed in the "References" section to contact the computer manufacturer to obtain the most recent BIOS update.

Note When you update the BIOS, you might have to disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing, temporarily.
            Method 3: Disable or update device drivers
            If you have updated the BIOS successfully and the problem persists, the video adapter drivers on the computer might have to be updated or disabled. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the video adapter drivers:
            If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.
            If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition uses the NTFS file system, you might be able to use safe mode to rename or to delete the faulty driver.
            If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in safe mode, you must use the Recovery Console to start the computer.
            If the Stop error message does not indicate a specific driver, update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions.
            Disable or remove any drivers or services that you recently added.
            Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to determine whether the PCI devices in the computer are compatible with Windows XP. For information about the HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
            http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
            Method 4: Remove unsigned drivers
            If you have updated the video adapter drivers and the problem persists, or if you cannot start Windows in safe mode, the problem might be caused by a different, unsigned driver. Remove all drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft. For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
            316434  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434/ ) How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
            Method 5: Remove all third-party drivers
            You might be unable to determine which third-party driver causes the error. If removing unsigned drivers does not resolve the issue, try moving all third-party driver files from the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder to a different location. Follow these steps to move the third-party driver files:
            Use the Recovery Console to start the computer, or start the computer from a different installation of Windows if you have performed a parallel Windows installation.
            Create a temporary folder to hold the driver files. For example, you could create c:\DriverTemp.
            Move all files that do not have a creation date for Windows XP of 8/13/2001 from the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder into the temporary folder that you created in step 2.

Caution If the computer relies on third-party IDE or SCSI controller drivers for correct operation, you must identify those driver files and then leave them in the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder.
            Restart the computer.
            Continue the Windows Setup program. You can add the driver files back to the computer one at a time to identify the faulty driver.
            Method 6: Remove third-party remote control services
            If you still have the problem after you use the previous methods and the Stop error message contains the Win32k.sys file name instead of a driver file name, the problem might be caused by a third-party remote control program. To remove the service, use the Recovery Console to start the computer and then delete the third-party remote control service file.
            Back to the top

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
              I am downloading NVidia driver right now but I have it a little hard to understand(and i'm a little lazy) what you got from microsoft. Is it that important? If yes, can you write a shorter version. Please?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
              Can I write a shorter version? Sure, I'll get around to that when I have time  ???

For now, just update the drivers and let's see what happens.

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »
                Ok, I installed both drivers. Now what?

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
                Reboot and let's see what happens.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
                  I dont recommend a bios flash if that is still being brought up till we are sure that it needs it.  Why mess with something that works.  ;)
                  Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
                  I dont recommend a bios flash if that is still being brought up till we are sure that it needs it.  Why mess with something that works.  ;)
                  These days there is not reason not to update your bios. Systems and flash utilities are made pretty much foolproof now.