Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot adjust system volume and other problems.  (Read 3040 times)

Diesel-crazy

Topic Starter

Starter

cannot adjust system volume and other problems.
    « on: August 18, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
    I have an HP pavillion laptop which has a switch near the monitor for volume.  This switch is obviously for increasing and decreasing volume and there is also another switch to mute the system volume and this is smack dab in the center of the up/down switch for volume.  I first noticed a problem when I tried to use a USB mouse with the scroll wheel.  When you push the scroll wheel down you should get an icon and you can pan across the page really fast.  Well the icon shows up and dissappears almost immediately.  Tried to watch a you-tube video, and the sound was down low.  Try to turn the sound up, and the system mutes and unmutes (when trying to increase the volume).  I tried opening the volume properties on the task bar and dragging the volume control up.  When you do so, the volume turns itself back down (slowly, as if you are pushing the volume down button repeatedly).  Ive gone into a couple of other volume menus and don't have such luck.  When you push the volume down button on the keyboard, it doesn't have any effect on the muting or un-muting.  The system only mutes and unmutes when you actually hit the mute button or when you use the volume "up" button.  I restarted the computer, and I always get a window for my quick-launch buttons (file corrupted or missing) been like that for years.  Anyway, I did the usual to clear that out (hit the space-bar) nothing happened, I actually had to click the "ok" box with the cursor. 

Diesel-crazy

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: cannot adjust system volume and other problems.
      « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
      Keep in mind, this USB mouse I have also used for about two years with no problems.  One other thing, whenever I am on a website (like craigslist) where you scroll down, click on something and view whatever you are viewing.  Then click the back arrow to go back to searching, I have to start at the top of the page instead of coming back where I left off (it never used to be like this).
      « Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:00:46 PM by Diesel-crazy »

Diesel-crazy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »
        I have an HP pavillion laptop which has a switch near the monitor for volume.  This switch is obviously for increasing and decreasing volume and there is also another switch to mute the system volume and this is smack dab in the center of the up/down switch for volume.  I first noticed a problem when I tried to use a USB mouse with the scroll wheel.  When you push the scroll wheel down you should get an icon and you can pan across the page really fast.  Well the icon shows up and dissappears almost immediately.  Tried to watch a you-tube video, and the sound was down low.  Try to turn the sound up, and the system mutes and unmutes (when trying to increase the volume).  I tried opening the volume properties on the task bar and dragging the volume control up.  When you do so, the volume turns itself back down (slowly, as if you are pushing the volume down button repeatedly).  Ive gone into a couple of other volume menus and don't have such luck.  When you push the volume down button on the keyboard, it doesn't have any effect on the muting or un-muting.  The system only mutes and unmutes when you actually hit the mute button or when you use the volume "up" button.  I restarted the computer, and I always get a window for my quick-launch buttons (file corrupted or missing) been like that for years.  Anyway, I did the usual to clear that out (hit the space-bar) nothing happened, I actually had to click the "ok" box with the cursor. 

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »
        sounds like stuck key or switch
        first turn off the compurer
        and press evrey key on the keyboard fairly hard
        then try pushing and releasing the volume switch sevrel times
        turn the computer on
        and see how it is