Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Parallel printer but no parallel port  (Read 3928 times)

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

Parallel printer but no parallel port
    « on: August 19, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »
    I have a barcode printer (Datamax E-Class) which has only a parallel connector.  My new computer doesn't have a parallel port, only USB.  Is there such a thing as an adapter to run a parallel device from a USB port ?  Would such a device also need some kind of software converter ? 
    (Running XP-Pro SP2  and also Vista Home.)

a

alan2273

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Parallel printer but no parallel port
      « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:18:15 AM »
      http://www.cablestogo.co.uk/product.asp?productid=81626

Connect the parallel end of the connector cable to the parallel port on your printer, scanner or other parallel peripheral device.
      Step

Plug the USB end of the connector cable to an open USB port on your computer, then turn on your device. Your computer will automatically detect the device as a new hardware.
      Step

Insert the installation disc for your device into the CD-ROM drive, then follow the instructions to install your device drivers. This may vary depending on the device connected. If you do not have an installation CD, check your manufacturer's website for driver downloads.
      Step

Perform a test print, scan or function with your device to make sure that the connection is secure and the drivers are properly installed.
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:17:00 AM by alan2273 »

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:56:35 AM »
        As simple as that ?  That's great.  Many thanks for your help.
        J
        a

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
          Or if you don't want to pay that much--here is an alternative source. I have used them and found them very satisfactory. All items ordered include FREE shipping.You must have patience however as it can take up to 10-12 weeks for receipt of the item.Paypal is a preferred method of payment (if you don't have a Paypal account they are easy to set up). http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9135 truenorth

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
          Another solution here is add a parallel port to your computer.  All you need is an empty PCI slot.  Here's one card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166007

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »
            Thanks for all this help guys, I never knew all this existed.  I don't need to use the barcode printer very often these days but when I do, I really must.  I guess the cable option is the most useful then I can run the printer off my laptop too.
            Thanks again for the help.
            J
            a

neelchauhan

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »
            You can use a PCI or a USB to Parallel converter. One thing you should check on the printer is a USB output. If there's a output, use it, otherwise, use a converter.