Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Large hard disks on older PC  (Read 2426 times)

tommcat1208

Topic Starter

Rookie

Large hard disks on older PC
    « on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
    As I have learned and read in IT class that some systems won't accept hard drives larger than 137GB. Or am I not reading it right? I'm working on a PC that the HD crashed on and bought a 160GB HD to replace it. The problem is that the HD will show up in the bios at first start but when I restart it, it won't recognize it and says that the HD failed. This was the problem with the last HD of 120GB, which did fail with the click of death. but it would still show in the BIOS. I've tried other HDs of lower GBs, 40 and 80, and they work swell. When I first put it in, the BIOS recognized it and it started loading the OS from the disk along with formatting it, then when it came to restarting on its own it said the HD Failure error. I put it in a PC similar  to this one and it had no problems at all. But I put it in as a slave if that makes any sense. Anyhow its a 2001 model HP 760n PC i845 chipset board with an Award BIOS. Is it the PC age or could it be something with the controller or board?
    Tom

smeezekitty

Re: Large hard disks on older PC
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:08 AM »
    could be a bios configure error
    you could patrition it into 20gb chunks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Large hard disks on older PC
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
    1.  As I have learned and read in IT class that some systems won't accept hard drives larger than 137GB. Or am I not reading it right?

2.  Anyhow its a 2001 model HP 760n PC i845 chipset board with an Award BIOS. Is it the PC age or could it be something with the controller or board?
    Tom
    1.  That is true.  There were other barriers. too.  See link below

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=936&p_created=1049500809&p_sid=RpNDJArh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZHJpdmUgc2l

2.  It was the Award BIOS that had the issue you refer to.  Don't remember the version.