Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer goes to sleep mode at startup  (Read 4135 times)

leedrfam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

computer goes to sleep mode at startup
    « on: August 23, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
    I have a compaq presario v6000 laptop with vista that will startup windows for about 2 seconds and then apparently goes to sleep mode.(blank screen lights all on no noise from drives) When I shut it down using the power button and restart, it goes to the screen where you can choose safe mode etc. When it is run in safe mode it works fine.I dont have any discs for it and this machine was never backed up internally. Im not sure what direction to go with this any help would be appreciated.

Mulreay

Re: computer goes to sleep mode at startup
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
    Under your screen hinges you will see a little pointy button that sticks up. Is this bent or deformed in any way and is it all the way out?

Also when in safe mode you need to go into power saving options in control panel and turn off sleep mode for everything.

leedrfam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
      I have changed all the sleep options in the power section and nothing changed. I could not find a screen button even though I looked carefully with a flashlight.I'm thinking this computer has a different type of switch?If the screen switch were the problem would it also be affected in safe mode?How can I get a disc to reformat my hardrive, I suspect this may cure the problem

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
      Is there any chance this is still under warranty?
      « Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:50:28 PM by Mulreay »

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
      I have changed all the sleep options in the power section and nothing changed. I could not find a screen button even though I looked carefully with a flashlight.I'm thinking this computer has a different type of switch?If the screen switch were the problem would it also be affected in safe mode?How can I get a disc to reformat my hardrive, I suspect this may cure the problem

I can't see this needing that extreme a solution.  I would just reinstall the video card driver and double check that your power option choices 'took'.

If you have no copies of your disks then you should phone Compaq, they will send them to you.
      Evil is an exact science.

leedrfam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »
        It seems that my power options did take.How do I  reinstall the video driver
        Is this something I can get from the web or do I need to get some discs?
        Thanks for the replies

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:05:53 AM »
        Try here

Drivers

leedrfam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
          I found the hp site and downloaded the bios and the vid drivers but unfortunately cannot install them in safe mode which is the only way the computer will run. This laptop is not under warranty by the way. I'm going to check on getting some discs but I'm not sure if I can because this computer did not come with any.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
          Why would the drivers not install in safemode ? ?
          Any error messages ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

leedrfam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
            When I try to load the bios in safe mode I get a box that says windows install shield cannot operate in safe mode, and that's as far as it gets