Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get out of Diagnostic Mode - Acer Aspire 5315-2153  (Read 5963 times)

JoyceHolley

Topic Starter

Starter

Can't get out of Diagnostic Mode - Acer Aspire 5315-2153
    « on: August 24, 2009, 10:43:35 PM »
    I have Vista 32. Last night I opened up my computer and everything came up ok, but I couldn't connect with the internet. After a few attempts to re-connect I gave up and shut the computer. I think I may have still been in the area where you look for wireless connections. The next time I opened up my computer it was in some sort of diagnostic mode and I can't seem to get it out. I have a screen come up that says choose a language and then when I select US and "next" it takes me to the System Recovery Options screen. I select Startup Repair and only get a message saying "Startup Repair could not detect a problem." I've tried the System Restore, but can't get anywhere with that option because it says I have not set up a restore point. And unfortunately I didn't create a back-up "restore" DVD when I had the chance, so that option is not available either.

I went to the MSDOS command prompt and it appears to have the default drive set as "X". I ran the "dir" command and see I still have over 700 files in the "X" drive and also a number of files in the "C" drive. I'm not able to switch over to the "C" drive to try to give a command to get back to Windows thru MSDos.

Is there a shortcut or hotkey or something that I can do to get back into Windows? I'm just about beating my head against the wall. I know my stuff is still there I just can't get out of diagnostic mode.

Any wisdom anyone has to offer on this would be greatly appreciated.

smeezekitty

Re: Can't get out of Diagnostic Mode - Acer Aspire 5315-2153
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »
    when its booting up watch very carefully and post any prompts of messages here

JoyceHolley

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
      When it's first coming on the Acer icon comes up with the blue screen and down in the bottom left corner it says "Press <F2> to go to Setup". It only flashes for a moment then it's replaced by the message "Prepare Boot to OS".

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
      are you saying it goes in diagnostic mode does its thing
      then reboots and goes to diagnostic mode?

JoyceHolley

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »
        Once you see the message saying "Prepare Boot to OS" it appears to be opening Windows, but it goes directly into diagnostic mode. The only option is to re-start or try one of the repair options. I've tried every option but it seems to be stuck in diagnostic mode.