Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop not detecting its own USB port...  (Read 3511 times)

Mike J.

laptop not detecting its own USB port...
« on: June 06, 2005, 04:37:56 PM »
I have a laptop and it dosn't seem to be detecting its own USB port. No matter what USB appliance I plug into it it dosn't detect it. I tried getting into the laptops BIOS to see what it says but I can't seem to be able to get into it. Typcially on a PC it says "press f2 to enter setup" when you turn it on but this laptop seems not to. Pushing f1 or f2 while its turning on brings me to a black screen that asks me if i want to start windows in safe mode, normally, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

merlin_2

Re: laptop not detecting its own USB port...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 04:42:17 PM »
how old is this laptop.........what make is it.....start pc.....in safe mode.......now right-click on the my computer icon<<there are short cut but can remember them>>anway......now click properties .....now click the device manager<<win9x users>>. for winxp users click manage instead of properties>> then click device manager>......are there any yellow exclaimation marks......near the usb host controllers......
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 04:57:06 PM by merlin_2 »

Cary_GRant

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 10:13:46 PM »
you can also try hitting delete at boot to get into bios

Mike J.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 05:21:36 PM »
K thx guys for your help thus far(i hope this message bumps the topic to the top)

I got into the device manager and it had a driver for the USB but it said it wasn't working. Ever since I installed windows XP professional on it the USB hasn't worked. I guess, basically, I need help finding a driver that will make my USB port work.
The laptop is a toshiba satelite pro 460CDT.

Thx alot guys I really appreciate your help :)

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:03:36 AM »
To enter the BIOS on Toshiba Laptops you need to press F2 and then quickly press delete if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 05:03:45 AM by Raptor »

Mike J.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
Merlin_2, I tried that link you gave me but it seems it only gives drivers for Toshiba's modems : /

It really aggrivates me how Toshiba dosn't have their older product's driver's on their own web-site.

If anyone knows of any driver warehouse sites, please don't refrain from posting them here :)
Thx.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:11 AM »
http://list.driverguide.com/list/company1066/index.html

i do have a toshiba drivers disk........which also contains manuals...which i will send to you...if you interested.......leave a message.....<not in the forums.......??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 04:17:30 AM by merlin_2 »