Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring my C drive to a larger hard disk  (Read 2254 times)

Ottmar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Transferring my C drive to a larger hard disk
    « on: August 28, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
    In my Sony VAIO desktop The 180 gig C drive only has 10 gigs left, not even enough to work with anymore and I have purchased a one TB drive which I want to use as my C drive. I am running XP.
    Presently both drive bays are full, the single partition C drive and a second drive partitioned into D,E,F,G which has my picture and music files, etc. ..I also have a USB external disk drive onto which I have cloned my C drive with Ghost.

Which of the following should I do: take out my D>>> drive and run the new one as a slave and clone the C drive to it and then exchange with the present C drive. I realize that I have to run the new drive in slave mode and then make it the master.

After reconnecting my D>>? drive will the drive letters automatically come up in the old order?

Secondly, I could clone the new drive from my external one, but I just don't quite know how, would I have to reassign drive C to the external and run it as a master, how could I do that without switching connections around physically especially with no access to the internal parts of the drive?

Sorry for the length of this post.

...Ott

smeezekitty

Re: Transferring my C drive to a larger hard disk
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »
    A: if 10 gb is not enough to work with i dont know is
    B: do you want to boot from an external drive?? thats not possable
    C: why dont you just copy whats on you D drive to the new drive and install it there
    D: your post doesnt make alot of snes

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
    If it makes you feel any better, I understand your post just fine, although I'd rather a more experienced member of this board give you correct directions.
    But I would think using Norton Gohst will be fine, letting your PC assign whatever drive letter to the drive, then after all is done and you remove the old drive you can then use Disk Management to assign the drive letter C to your new drive.
     But as I said, wait for a more experienced member to confirm this.
    Have fun.  :)

Ottmar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »
      Why I said that 10 gigs are not enough to work with is that I wanted to defrag the disk and the error message said there was not enough memory on the disk for defragmentation.

...Ottmar