Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help cleaning D: drive SAFELY, fix slowness, error messages and thoughts on wh  (Read 2637 times)

dhillhouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

I don't know where to begin to help my computer.
    I have an
    HP desktop - model a6030n
    running;
    Vista Home Premium - sp 2
    AMD Anthon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
    2.00 GB Ram
    32 bit OS
    Sound and video cards - I don't know
    McAfee Security
    SUPERAntispyware - free edition
    Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware
    Ccleaner
    Here are a list of events and a list of problems.
    In June of this year My computer crashed.  I knew of  no good or bad reason for this to happen.  Although now I know that

this probably didn't happen WITHOUT a reason.
    I had already set up another user account and was able to access it. I don't remember how it happened but I ended up

deciding to reinstall my OS. So I did and was over joyed to see it running. ( Now I realize that there was probably a reason

for it to happen and probably a different way to handle the crash ) but what's done is done. I have worked on this computer

now for about 3 months after that happened with nothing more than normal happenings.  That is until now.
    Let me list the things that I would like to resolve,
    D:  drive is too full. It is at less than 15% free.
    running slow
    error messages - among others is one that says concerning Trying to access Windows Defender - "Application failed to

initialize; 0x880106ka. A problem cause this programs service to stop........" Could this be beibg caused by that unwanted

Norton?
     Right after the reinstalled I noticed that the D: drive showed up in red so I tried to access it by going through the right click

- explore- explore but this way was a dead end. I was not allowed past a certain point.  Now I think there is another way but

I'm afraid to do anything in case I ruin it. I ran a Reliability and Performance test and it showed the disk checks test failed

and it showed the one problem was the d: drive. While running this test I found a copy of Norton.  It showed that it is enabled

although I never downloaded or enabled it. I use McAfee.
    A few weeks aqgo when starting my computer a message came up that the fans weren't working so I cleaned and vacumned

the inside of the computer and that seems to have solved it. I  moved the unit up so it is next to me and I check it periodically

to see if it is still working.
    The computer is running slow and has gotten very, very, very slow within the last couple of days, even on the Internet.  I

disconnected an unused router and that didn't speed things up, uninstalled unused programs and stopped startup programs

not used and that didn't work,
     It has had more and more error messages coming up.
    Since June 10th 2009 I have constantly updated and ran scanns with the Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes and Ccleaner

[recommended by you for another computer I have trouble with] I do this  for both drives.
    Defraged the C: and D: drives a couple of times,
    So I think I'm asking for help with checkng the D: drive up SAFELY, fix slowness and error messages and  getting rid of the

symantec- Norton thing.
    I hope someone can help me. I don't want another crash when I could prevent it.
    Thank you ahead for your help.  Debra

smeezekitty

sound like you may have malware

dhillhouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

I know what you mean, but I have been running that Malware bytes regularly but lately it has shown up that nothing was on the computer.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      I ran a Reliability and Performance test and it showed the disk checks test failed

It 's time to start shopping for a new HDD.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dhillhouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

May I ask why? and please  I would really appreciate it if you would run a scenario by me on how this might have happened and how to not have a messed up computer next time. Also, could you address the subject of getting into the D: drive ?