Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on after restoring data from external hardrive  (Read 2376 times)

landreborn8

Topic Starter

Computer won't turn on after restoring data from external hardrive
    « on: September 10, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »
    So it starts with my HP Vista laptop having issues with its DEP and then with anything windows related. I bought an external hardrive to back up the files and then do a system restore. After successfully doing both I tried to restore the data but at first glance couldn't figure out how to do it, so I decided I would try restoring it onto my desktop, which runs on XP, when I did that I realized what I was doing wrong in the first place and knew how I could get it onto my laptop but my desktop has alot of memory and I thought it would be a safe place to put all my stuff in case something happens to my laptop again. So I restored the data onto my desktop and then after it finished the system froze and the computer shut off. Now when I try to power on my desktop it stops at the startup Emachine screen (just a really big e).

I realize that loosing the data is my fault but if anyone has any help for either fixing my computer or at least restoring the data on my desktop it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mulreay

Re: Computer won't turn on after restoring data from external hardrive
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »
    Is there anyway you can start up in safe mode? Tap F8 repeatedly on start up.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »
    From your post it is not clear what you did. What method of backup and restore did you use? 

Here we often use the term "data" to mean the user documents and his media. But not the actual operating system data.

When we need a copy of another system for safe keeping, we place the entire backup hunk into a folder that is not a working part of the local  system.
    It sounds like you tried to restore the Vista system into the core of the XP system, which would fail.

Because of my past failures in trying to recovery a damaged system, my method is to use another hard drive from my spare parts. I install XP on to a spare drive. Then when done place the troubled drive in to the other SATA pr IDE connection as a  second drive. I reboot the new install and the I can recover just the user data that I need from the drive with the sick system.   ;)
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:43:35 PM by Geek-9pm »

ioovius

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
      Sounds like its a total driver issue. To get the data off of your desktop computer, what you need to do is get into the case and physically unplug the hard drive. Then, get access to another desktop somewhere and unplug the cd drive from that desktop and put in your hard drive. Your hard drive will now act like a secondary drive and be listed as the E or F drive usually. Yank all the files you want off of it, then put them on a flash drive. Dont forget to connect back the cd drive! As for the boot up issue, im not really sure, you would need to give more details. You could try swapping out hard drives and then booting to see if its just the hard drive. If it is, get all your data off (see above) then just format the hard drive and reinstall your OS.

landreborn8

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
        Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I just backed up user data not Vista, thats why I'm confused on why it crashed. Putting the hard drive in another computer, is that like using it as a slave drive? I did some research before I came here and I was a little confused about where I would put my hard drive in another computer but that makes sense now. Could I use an older desktop (my first computer old :) ) or do I need something a little more up-to-date.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "