Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programs no longer work after re-booting  (Read 3349 times)

jtcorbeil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Programs no longer work after re-booting
    « on: September 17, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

I have googled this and found no exact results, please help!!

Everytime I install a program whether a poker download from online (PKR) to a kids learning app I install it and use it, but when i restart or re-boot the computer the next day when i click on the .exe shortcut on the desktop it says path has been changed or moved do you want to remove this shortcut? I also checked it in the start menu and every place possible to launch it and it always says that same thing, like an invisible ghost is uninstalling every program I install after i re-boot. Scanned with AVG and had no viruses, just cookie warnings which are usual. What could this be that is causing this. Also its Vista SP2. Never had this happen before until recently.

thanks in advance

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Programs no longer work after re-booting
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:39:18 AM »
    Can you start these programs by double-clicking the .exe in the program folders? If so, try dragging one program .exe to the desktop, check to make sure it works, and reboot. What happens?

jtcorbeil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
      HI.

Okay, did that, my icon's reappeared after reboot and they work, what do I then do with the .exe's that i moved from the program files to the desktop, do i need to move them back or just delete them? I was unsure if i was to copy or to move them so i just dragged like you said and they moved. What causes this problem by the way?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
      Move it back to the program folder. Now right-click on that .exe and drag to the desktop and create shortcut. Reboot. What happens?

And I'm going to be out of pocket until much later, so hopefully someone else will be able to help when you post back.

jtcorbeil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
        What happens when I do that is when i launch it from the desktop it does work but a whole bunch of files then appear on the desktop, basically all the files that are already in its own program files folder. I still have the problem though, its still doing it to programs that i install and they are gone after a reboot.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
        I'm sorry, I don't understand. Move all the actual .exe files back to their program folders. Pick one and right-click drag it to the desktop and create a shortcut. Reboot. Does that work.

jtcorbeil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
          Yes it did work, but when i then launch the exe from the desktop i get all the other files that are in the program file folder associated with that exe appear on the desktop. But i can launch it. But the problem is still there. Next time i reboot i get the same problem. no clue why its doing this?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:40:01 AM »
          The next time you reboot you get WHAT same problem?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »
          Sounds like these apps aren't very well written...
          What programs ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jtcorbeil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »

Whenever I install a program the next time I reboot the program is no longer launchable from the desktop or start menu.

Its not the programs, because its happening to all of them that I install, they work after I install but when i reboot they are only launchable from their program files folder.

Recent run through CleanMyPC registry cleaner shows (82)- COM/ACTIVEX problems. Would this be contributed to this problem? What do I need to do to fix this?

billrich

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
            Some of the vital system files are hosed.

Start, Run [ sfc /scannow ]

Be  ready to insert OS  installation Disk when requested. Need not be your own

C:\>sfc /?

Microsoft(R) Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
            Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW        Scans all protected system files immediately.

The above is for XP pro.  You might need to adjust Vista for Administrator control:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/695181.htm
            « Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:11:40 AM by billrich »