Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My mouse won't work!  (Read 5070 times)

Alexa9112

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My mouse won't work!
    « on: September 20, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
    My Dad's company was replacing their computers with newer models and were giving their employees the computers from free.  I've been having problems with my 5 year old Dell laptop so I decided to transfer all my files to the new computer.

The new computer is a "Compaq" with Windows XP and I was told it was about 3 years old.  I plug in my mouse and the computer makes a noise that it recognizes new hardware but the mouse won't move on my screen.  I plugged the same mouse into my parents computer and had no problems.  I bought the mouse with my laptop 5 years ago and I don't think I had to install any drivers to get the mouse to work.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Ecardius

Re: My mouse won't work!
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »
    Im assuming its a USB mouse?  Have you tried different USB ports on your computer?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »
    Are you plugging the mouse into ports on the front or the back of the computer?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Alexa9112

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
      Yes, USB.

2 ports in the front and 2 in the back.  I tried all 4 and nothing works.

I'm not sure what you call it but I have this thing you plug into one USB port and it gives you 4 USB ports.  Only in 2 of the inlets the light on my mouse turns on but it still doesn't work.  If I plug my mouse into any other USB ports my mouse light doens't come on.

On the back of the computer I also have 2 other inlets (mouse/ keyboard) with the older style plug.  I found an older style mouse to plug in and this also doesn't work.

Since it is a work computer all the data was wiped out before they were given to the employees.  I'm wondering if there was any sort of mouse driver that was wiped out?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
      I'm not sure what you call it but I have this thing you plug into one USB port and it gives you 4 USB ports.
      This is called a Hub....

On the back of the computer I also have 2 other inlets (mouse/ keyboard) with the older style plug.  I found an older style mouse to plug in and this also doesn't work.
      How old is this PS2 mouse you tried ? ?

Since it is a work computer all the data was wiped out before they were given to the employees.  I'm wondering if there was any sort of mouse driver that was wiped out?
      The generic Windows mouse drivers will run 99% of the meese out there so this is not the issue...

Have you thought about trying a brand new mouse out of the package ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
      The generic Windows mouse drivers will run 99% of the meese out there so this is not the issue...

Sometimes, I too, "hate meeses to pieces."   ;D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
      These are called PS2 ports and can be only plugged-in with the computer off.

Alexa9112

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
        I think the USB drivers may have been wiped out.  I downloaded a USB driver online but I'm wondering how I can install the driver if my mouse and keyboard won't work?

I turn on my computer and I have to click my user name to get into my computer.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
        See if you can borrow a keyboard and mouse with the ps/2 ports.  You can plug them in, turn on your computer, and you should have access.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
        Did you try restarting?  That usually does it