Software > Computer viruses and spyware

Here is my malwarebyts ant-malware and hijackthis log files

<< < (5/5)

alyoob:

--- Quote from: CBMatt on September 29, 2009, 04:22:33 PM ---You don't have the CD's the came with your computer?  A computer will usually come with System Recovery CD's that you can use to reformat and reinstall Windows without having to buy it in stores.  If you don't have this, you can usually get a replacement from the manufacturer of your computer.  If you contact the company or fill out a form on their site, you can usually get these CD's as long as you pay for shipping (about US$6).  What brand is your computer?

And of course, if you would rather continue trying to fight the infection, you can follow the steps in my previous post.

--- End quote ---

I have those cd's but I had to call hp up so they would ship them to me. I need to format both the c and d drives because I want to make sure that the computer is not still infected. What good is it to format the c drive and do a system recovery and find out that the d drive which has the operating system is still infected. Youare telling me that the recovery cds also have the operating system on them is that correct. Then I can format the c and d drive and use the system recovery cd's rather than buying windows xp home from online and then use the product key on the side of the computer to register the copy of windows. I am using an hp a810n model computer. Here are my SAS and Malwarevyte log files.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CBMatt:
Some recovery discs will let you reformat more than one drive at a time.  However, I can't say if your particular discs allow that or not.  If not, then you will have to reformat them separately.  To do that, you would want to remove Drive D, reformat Drive C, remove Drive C, hook up Drive D, and then reformat it.  Basically, you have to go through the reformatting process twice.  A simpler way would be to simply reformat your main hard drive and then hook up the secondary hard drive.  Then when you boot up the computer, go to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.  Once there, open Computer Management.  On the left side of the new window, near the bottom, click on Disk Management.  From here, you can right-click on your secondary hard drive and select Format.  That will wipe everything off of it.  Once the format is complete, the status should say Healthy.

As for your other question...as long as HP sent you the proper disc that goes along with your model of computer, then it should install Windows XP for you.  According to this page, HP should've sent you the XP Home SP2 51NAheBLU1/3_51 NAheBLA2 Recovery Kit, which will install Windows XP Home Edition for you (it is only SP2, so you will have to download SP3 from Microsoft's site for free).  HP's instructions for system recovery are here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=443069&os=228&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_disc

On Step 7, I suggest pressing F to perform the destructive recovery.  I know you said you had tried the destructive recovery and you were still infected, but it either wasn't done correctly or the virus re-entered your computer immediately.  If it's the latter, then it may have come from one of the programs you installed.  Are these all legitimate legal programs?  Or are any of them cracked?  If you have obtained software illegally through P2P clients (Limewire, uTorrent, etc.), then there is a good chance that it is infecting your system as soon as you install it.  If that is not the case, then it may be hopping onto your computer from the secondary hard drive.  If so, then my suggestion of swapping the drives and using the recovery disc on each one would be a good idea.

I hate the thought of you having to go to such measures, but it may be your best solution.  Of course, you are always welcome to try ComboFix again.  If it will successfully run on your computer without any problems like before, then I'm certain it will be able to make a significant dent in the infection.  It's your call...

--- Quote from: CBMatt on September 22, 2009, 06:30:05 PM ---Download ComboFix by sUBs from one of the below links.  Be sure to save it to the Desktop.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Close any open web browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) before starting ComboFix.

Temporarily disable your anti-virus, and any anti-spyware real-time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.

Double-click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When finished, ComboFix will produce a log for you.
Post the ComboFix log and a new HijackThis log in your next reply.

NOTE: Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

Remember to re-enable your anti-virus and anti-spyware protection when ComboFix is complete.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version