Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows automatic update  (Read 2405 times)

aaskl

Topic Starter

Rookie

windows automatic update
    « on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
    Hi,

I recently re-installed my laptop with my manufactuers recovery CD. After I installed windows, it has the "windows update" icon in the system tray. I double clicked on it and as expected I found a list of all the XP updates available, as well as IE 8.0.

However I decided to install some other programs first. But after that the "windows update" icon dissappeared. When i go to the windows update website, I encountered a few problems.

1st - it says the files needed to windows update is missing or unregistered. So I followed the troubshoot and re-registered them.

Then, I scan my computer again, it took a long time. But it eventually came through. But there was only the "genuine office advantage" update available. No more security patches for XP or IE 8.0. Why is this? How do I get back all those security patches?

Many thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows automatic update
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
    Try running Windows Update from the Start Menu.

This time let it finish all of them...it will detect any interrupted ones.
    This will probably require one or more re-boots...it will prompt you for them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
    Just keep going back to microsoft update until it stops finding updates. This can take some time and a few restarts.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

aaskl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
      As I've sad in my email, there are NO more updates available when I search in the Windows Update section. But I know there are suppose to be many cause I saw them before. The most noticeable one is IE 8.0 (i'm still on 6.0) and all those security patches for XP.

I did click on the windows update button from the start menu. It scanned my computer, it only come up with 1 update; that is the office geniune advantage. I've tried this a few times letting it run till it finish. I've tried this yesterday and I've tried it today (my computer was switched off overnight).

thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
      Go to add/remove programs and list the last update stated there...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aaskl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:17 AM »
        Matter resolved. Seems like the genuine advantage thing is required before the other downloads.

thanks