Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: white screen??  (Read 2523 times)

gatorsdogs

Topic Starter

Rookie

white screen??
    « on: October 06, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
    when my computer comes out of stanby mode I get a blank white screen...( sometimes ) has anyone ever had this happen before? could the monitor be going bad? the entire system was just reformatted could somekind of driver be missing?

thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: white screen??
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
    Instead of standby try setting the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It serves essentially the same purpose and is a problem free method, unlike hibernation and standby - which some users find problematical.

gatorsdogs

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
      how do I go about doing that?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
      Control Panel - Power Options

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
      Unless you've got a UPS backup, I strongly recommend not using standby on a desktop computer. Laptops are a bit better with this, as they'll pull power from the battery in the even of a power failure. But a power loss on a desktop or laptop computer (without a battery) in standby can often result in problems like this or even causing OS issues, and many computers just don't like standby altogether. I know it's more convenient, but it's also riskier.

My Windows XP desktop does the same thing with standby, so I disabled it and hibernation. Not a big deal, since my desktop starts XP in 30 seconds or less. However, on my laptop running Vista I usually use sleep mode simply because of the amount of time it takes Vista to cold boot. It only gets an actual shutdown/restart about once a week or any time a program or Windows requests a reboot after installing or updating.

Now, if you just want it to save a bit of power if you're going to be away from the system for an extended amount of time (like an hour), I'd follow Allan's advice and just have it power down certain things, like the monitor and hard drive. Like he said, it tends to be less problematic.