Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer is only working in safe mode and wont let me run a virus scan!  (Read 3693 times)

ashleynichole0322

I need help really bad, I need my computer for school! It just turned off on its own one day and when i restarted it, it had an antivirus dialog box popping up and my background pic and thats it and it wouldnt let me in. Now it shows the background pic, no icons or my taskbar. I can get in safe mode with networking but i cant run a virus scan, and i just downloaded charter security suite that i got from the company im using.

P.S. They told me to delete my virus protection when i signed up for the internet (not telling me correctly that i couldnt download their package security suite til i got my first bill in the mail w/my security code) and my luck...this happened two days before i got my bill.   :'(

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
1) Never run your system without a GOOD antivirus utility installed and resident.
2) Download a boot time antivirus utility and create a cd with it (Avira, Avast, Bit Defender, etc). Boot to that cd and run an av scan at boot.

Helper4789

:o Well, sounds like a fishy one! I suggest copying all of your system files, and documents, and pictures etc, to a memory stick/Whatever some data can hold, then after that, re-install the operating system. If you need help, please either contact your system administrator, or talking to your nearest computer shop.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Don't copy anything yet (until we are sure what is or is not infected) and certainly don't reinstall the OS - not yet, anyway. Go ahead and run the boot time scans as I suggested in my first post.