Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Access Database Viewer  (Read 4294 times)

beanhead07

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Microsoft Access Database Viewer
    « on: October 10, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »
    Hey everyone,

I've created a database for work that will let us keep track of items that have been returned and what we replaced them with, etc. I need to find a viewer that will allow other users to be able to view and edit this database without having Access installed on their PC. I used MS Access to create the database but we don't have enough licenses to go around. I found something called MDB Viewer which I put on my own PC to test and it works fine. I'm running Windows Vista and I tried putting it on another PC that is running XP and I can't get it to work. Does anyone know of any good/free Access database viewers that would allow end users to view and edit the database? The one I have actually automatically updates the Access database once changes have been made using the MDB Viewer. But like I said it only works on my PC. The PC specs that I cannot get it to work on are:

P4 2.8 GHz
    XP Pro
    2 GB RAM
    40GB HDD

My PC's specs are:

P4 3.2GHz
    Vista Business
    2GB RAM
    80GB HDD

Any ideas? Thanks!
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Microsoft Access Database Viewer
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »
    I know that are viewers that let you view an Access database, but I'm not aware of any that also allow editing of the database.  What viewer is this?

I suggest you try OpenOffice.org, specifically the Base database component of it.  I believe it will open an MS Access database and would also provide editing capability.

beanhead07

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »
      Thanks Soybean. Openoffice was actually my first thought but I didn't want to have to download that on everyone's PC that will be needing to view this database. I was trying to look for something a little more space-saving. The one I found was called MDBviewer Plus I believe. But it would actually let end users edit the database. I'm afraid Openoffice might be my only choice if I can't find a way to get the other one working on the XP PC. Thanks for your help.
      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

gbyerly

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »
      Access 2007 runtime is available directly from Microsoft free of charge. It can read older versions of Access as well.  The user cannot modify table structures, create new queries, ..., but viewing and editing the data is permitted.